• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 disc brake conversion

This is one of the most commonly asked questions....there must be a zillion threads on this....

"SEARCH" is your friend....embrace the search.....

i see that there are alot of threads on disk brake conversions, but they are all for the 8.25. i have a 2000 xj with a dana 35 with abs, i would like to be able to retain the abs and parking brake. a parts list would be helpfull.:banghead:

Answer: don't spend a penny on the D35. Upgrade to the explorer 8.8 which includes rear discs already. For the price of a disc brake kit (300-500) or a ZJ swap (150), you can buy the explorer 8.8 complete from most any yard.

Modifications are so minor that you may have $100 in labor into the axle when you're finished and MORE makes a kit for the conversion...

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/Mounting%20Hardware-Axle/Mounting%20Hardware.htm

reedroalf said:
I ALREADY HAVE A DETROIT LOCKER AND DIFF GUARDS AND GEARS IN THE DANA THAT WHY I WANA KEEP IT.

No offense intended, but locking, gearing, and "bracing" a D35 is pretty pointless isn't it?

locking & lower gears without upgraded shafts is almost pointless
Diff guard might help with housing flex, but but a truss would help alot.
You should be able to transfer it all to a ZJ Dana-35 that comes with disk brakes and ABS

Yes a ZJ will work with some work. Now upgrading to a super 35 kit is probably the way to go for you if your gonna wheel with your axle, I think I might do that before I got the brakes done...unless you really need em. You can do the ZJ swap or invest a few more into a teraflex kit ($475 @ Northridge4x4) which will get you all new hardware thats ready to bolt on. :) Good luck

i see that there are alot of threads on disk brake conversions, but they are all for the 8.25. i have a 2000 xj with a dana 35 with abs, i would like to be able to retain the abs and parking brake. a parts list would be helpfull.:banghead:

Sorry just searching, has this been done? I have a d35 with 4.10s and I need to keep the abs,parking brake and would like to add disc's. I need these features because the wife drives it in snow. It's a 95 with 242 so it works very well for her,the abs actually works well too.
Thanks

Sorry actually I have a spare rear d35 that I plan on doing this to. That way I can build the axle in my garage and swap it. So any input is very welcomed. I will not swap this axle because of the abs.

Sorry just searching, has this been done? I have a d35 with 4.10s and I need to keep the abs,parking brake and would like to add disc's. I need these features because the wife drives it in snow. It's a 95 with 242 so it works very well for her,the abs actually works well too.
Thanks

Keeping the ABS will be a lot harder........lemme know when you figure it out

HAHA 12 year old dead thread.....

Back