• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Desperate NEED: Manual Tranny (Peugot BA-10)

Stallacrew

NAXJA Forum User
OK, Im not big on transmissions since mine is an AW4, and always will be, and this is for a friend, so I dont know which one he has, BUT:

Fella (kinda an older gentleman) has a 1989 Comanche 2WD manual 4.0 and he called me today in desperate need of a transmission. He is located in Cullman Alabama and asked me to post up and see if anything was around. I'm in Tuscaloosa Alabama and don't mind traveling a little to get one for him. He is checking Pull-a-Part online for their inventory in Birmingham and might head that way, but I don't think he will find a manual.

He says it a Peugot, and says he has 285k on it, so if both those statements are true then it sounds like he's been taking care of the thing.

In any case, if anyone has a manual transmission that will go in with ease then let me know. Again I don't know which one(s) will fit that 4.0... but I assume most than one will. I just don't want to offer a transmission to the guy and him having to do alot of modification on the thing.

Thanks in advance.

--Alex

1989 was a transition year - could be the BA-10/5, could be the AX-15. Easy way to tell - slide under and look at the transmission case. If it's split longwise, it's the Peugeot. If it's not, it's the AX-15.

The AX-15 should be a direct swap - grab the driveshaft while you're about it. You'll have to move the crossmember back to the rearward set of holes in the frame rails to accommodate the mount and open up the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel, but that's about it (early AX-15s use the same size pilot as the BA-10, later ones will require a CJ bushing.)

285K? Not bad - I went through four in 80K, but I'm probably a more "spirited" driver than your friend...

Back