NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 26th, 2019, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
The links were in the first post, I am not sure I would recommend the electrical circuit route if you've never built this kind of stuff before.

My thoughts as well. You're going to need some electronics skill to reproduce what I did. There have been a number eletronically inclined folks who copied and improved my original version, which was literally born out of "Hmm, what do I have in my parts bin that I can use? Lets see, I've got a cd4013 flip-flop that can be setup to divide by 4, quad op amp, some leftover oddball zeners, a pile of misc caps, a 10-volt linear regulator, a small box from a mac ethernet adapter, etc - I think I can make something out of that".
Old February 26th, 2019, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
My thoughts as well. You're going to need some electronics skill to reproduce what I did. There have been a number eletronically inclined folks who copied and improved my original version, which was literally born out of "Hmm, what do I have in my parts bin that I can use? Lets see, I've got a cd4013 flip-flop that can be setup to divide by 4, quad op amp, some leftover oddball zeners, a pile of misc caps, a 10-volt linear regulator, a small box from a mac ethernet adapter, etc - I think I can make something out of that".
Iím sure thatís the route Iím going to go. But Iím still stuck on harness wiring. From what I can find they SHOULD BE wire for wire. Not the case.

The 97 trans harness uses two grey main connector that come up to the firewall, the 98 trans has a grey and a black.

The grey connector from the 98 trans plugs into the 97 xj harness on the firewall, but the Comoros donít match up, the other black connector off of the 98 trans does not match up to the leftover Har was connector on the firewall (both are 8 pin I think)??

Any help is great!! Finishing someone elseís swap is always entertaining!!!

Iíll try to write out how the harness is connected (pin to pin and colour to colour). To add to the confusion!!!
Old February 26th, 2019, 21:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The links were in the first post, I am not sure I would recommend the electrical circuit route if you've never built this kind of stuff before. It would probably be much easier for you to use a 97 or earlier AW4 or swap the magnet wheel on the output shaft than going this route. It only takes a couple hours to swap and earlier transmissions are far more common, at least around here.
I think I may have figured out my wiring and pinouts for the 98 AW4 to go into the 97XJ... Ill add it here and whether or not you want to add to the original post is up to you,, If there is any mistakes PLEASE let me know, as I would like to fix my mistakes prior to wrecking a bunch of wiring...LOL

SO, from what i was able to source out, the 97 XJ uses 2 GREY connectors to tie the transmission to the truck (If the trans is a 97)... An 8-pin and a 6-pin..

After searching for schematics ive found that the *-pin grey connector from the JEEP side plugs right into the AW4 Trans side, BUT the colors do not match up (the functions of said wires do, but the color coding does not)... here is what ive found as follows

TRUCK SIDE (97) Trans side (98) MEANING:
PIN: PIN:
1-Violet/White 1-Green/White TRS 1-2 sense
2-Violet 2-Blue/Black TRS 3 Sense
3-Blue/White 3-Tan/White Fused ignition SW out
4-Light Green/Black 4-White TRS 4 Sense (O/D)
5-EMPTY 5-EMPTY Nothing
6-Brown/Light Green 6-Red/Black TRS Reverse Sense
7-Black/White 7-Black white Park/Neutral pos. sw
8-Black 8-Black GROUND

****COLORS DO NOT MATCH BUT THE FUNCTION DOES*****

Now, the leftover 6-PIN grey connector on the truck side does not match up to the 8-PIN Black connector whatsoever (this is where my brain started to hurt), eventually I figured out through the schematics what each wire did, and what wire went to where... Here is what I found as follows...:

TRUCK SIDE GREY 6 PIN TRANS SIDE BLACK 8-PIN MEANING
CONNECTOR CONNECTOR
PIN# PIN#
1-Black TO 6-Black OSS GROUND
3-White TO 3-Violet/white SOL A
4-Green/White TO 7-White/Brown OSS SIGNAL
5-Blue/White TO 4-White/Black SOL C
6-Orange/White TO 2-Blue/White SOL B

Pin 2 on grey connector was empty...
Pin 1 on black connector for ISS signal (NOT NEEDED FOR 97 TCU)???
Pin 5 on black connector for ISS ground (NOT NEEDED FOR 97 TCU)??

I think this is how its supposed to be wired... PLEASE let me know if this is correct... IT only makes sense that the ISS sig and ground are rendered useless in the 98 AW4 due to the fact that the 97 TCU wont read off of them anyway...?

I hope Im not way out in Left field here..... LOL
Old February 27th, 2019, 11:33
NAXJA Forum User

So into my next issue (might not be one I’m not sure). But upon further bush vestigation ive found out that the tcase adapter housing (pre98) is slightly different than the 98-01. It looks like the sensor location hole is larger on the 98-01 case compared to the pre-98.. Will I have to swap adapter housing s well?

Pre 98 on the left, 98-01 on the right.

http://www.4x4extremesports.com/proj...rough-2001.jpg
Old February 27th, 2019, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Looks like my original links from 2005 still work. Just proves that nothing you post on the interwebs every really goes away!

http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83..._Converter.pdf
(writing on left says input ranges from 0.1 volt to 30-volts)
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/board.jpg
http://myplace.frontier.com/~chris83803/box_mounted.jpg

I'm still amazed that the circuit I cobbled together from stuff out of my spare parts bin 13 years ago is still working.
Quote:
The links were in the first post, I am not sure I would recommend the electrical circuit route if you've never built this kind of stuff before. It would probably be much easier for you to use a 97 or earlier AW4 or swap the magnet wheel on the output shaft than going this route. It only takes a couple hours to swap and earlier transmissions are far more common, at least around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
So into my next issue (might not be one Iím not sure). But upon further bush vestigation ive found out that the tcase adapter housing (pre98) is slightly different than the 98-01. It looks like the sensor location hole is larger on the 98-01 case compared to the pre-98.. Will I have to swap adapter housing s well?

Pre 98 on the left, 98-01 on the right.

http://www.4x4extremesports.com/proj...rough-2001.jpg
Nvm. Just read again. That was stated in the original post hasta
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:09
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Not sure if you have discovered this already, but www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html is a HUGE help when it comes to wiring diagrams. You can just load up the PDFs for any two years of XJ auto trans wiring, print, and compare side by side w/ highlighter in hand.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 18th, 2019, 17:15
NAXJA Forum User

Hey man I have a 1999 jeep cherokee xj which I just recently bought a transmission pump off roc auto due to the old one being defective. The pump looked almost identical to the old one and when I put it in and got the transmission up and went to go turn crankshaft it would not budge. I was wondering if they made different pumps for these models in the 1999 thinking maybe I have the wrong one. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 18th, 2019, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnardelli11 View Post
Hey man I have a 1999 jeep cherokee xj which I just recently bought a transmission pump off roc auto due to the old one being defective. The pump looked almost identical to the old one and when I put it in and got the transmission up and went to go turn crankshaft it would not budge. I was wondering if they made different pumps for these models in the 1999 thinking maybe I have the wrong one. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
What would transmission pump have to do with whether or not crankshaft turned or not? Shouldn't torque converter allow slippage even if transmission were completely frozen in place?
Old March 18th, 2019, 20:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnardelli11 View Post

If you didn't rotate the t/c until it was fully seated on the drive splines and pump, then you probably just damaged the new pump.
Old April 16th, 2019, 21:13
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone out there know if the AW4's input shaft is spun up by the TC impeller when the transmission is in Neutral?...in other words, is the input shaft free to be turned by the impeller, or is there some mechanism that I am not aware of that prevents the input shaft from turning while the transmission is in Neutral?

My online research about automatic transmissions in general would seem to indicate that input shaft IS spun up by the TC impeller when the transmission is in Neutral, but a professional experienced mechanic is telling me that the input shaft is to NOT supposed spin up when the transmission is in Neutral.

My symptom is that when I shift (at a standstill) from Reverse into Drive quickly and directly, the shift is very smooth, but if I pause in Neutral at all then the shift is comparatively violent (clunk/lurch). One explanation for this would be that if the input shaft is spinning up in Neutral, then that would allow the input shaft to build up rotational momentum, which would then cause a more violent shift into Drive.
Old July 7th, 2019, 18:30
<-- A Tribute

Not sure if this was covered but, can you take the output shaft from a 96aw4 and put that into an 87aw4? I have a 96 that the trans is going but have access to a rebuilt 87aw4. So basically going from 21 to 23 splines.

Thanks

STROKER
Friend of Matt #17
RAUSCH CREEK
Old July 8th, 2019, 05:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER View Post
Not sure if this was covered but, can you take the output shaft from a 96aw4 and put that into an 87aw4? I have a 96 that the trans is going but have access to a rebuilt 87aw4. So basically going from 21 to 23 splines.

Thanks

STROKER
Yes, but it means tearing the entire trans(both) apart to do so. Where would the benefit be.
Old July 8th, 2019, 06:18
<-- A Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Yes, but it means tearing the entire trans(both) apart to do so. Where would the benefit be.
Free is the benefit, I would have to tear down the 96 trans anyway to reduild, there is $300+ or so for the kit, the 86 trans has already been rebuilt and is free.

STROKER
Friend of Matt #17
RAUSCH CREEK

Last edited by STROKER; July 8th, 2019 at 06:25.
Old July 10th, 2019, 16:13
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

You can, but bear in mind you'll need to buy and/or fabricate a number of special tools and probably replace more than a few gaskets and seals removed during teardown. That will cut into your savings somewhat.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old July 10th, 2019, 16:49
<-- A Tribute

Quote:
You can, but bear in mind you'll need to buy and/or fabricate a number of special tools and probably replace more than a few gaskets and seals removed during teardown. That will cut into your savings somewhat.
Understood, still the cheaper option, thanks ken.

STROKER
Friend of Matt #17
RAUSCH CREEK