NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 6th, 2011, 18:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
[LIST]...
  • 1997, the AW4 is exactly the same as the 1990.5-1996 units, except the electrical connector for the wiring harness changed. A simple cut and splice will solve this problem.
Do you have more details on the cut/splice to put a 1997 AW4 into a '95 XJ?

I picked up a '97 AW4, the harness has only one connector with 5-pins. My '95 AW4 has the 7-pin connector that routes up the firewall in addition to a 2-pin connector on a short pigtail, by the rear of tranny, drivers side.

NSS's are different, as detailed in the OP.
Old April 6th, 2011, 18:54
NAXJA Member

The small connector at the rear is for one of the transfer case lights; if it has a pigtail and is yellow/black and red/black then it's the jumper for the 242 transfer case. Some of the later years had different harnesses depending on how the jeep was ordered
Old April 6th, 2011, 18:59
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Could also be the connector for the output speed sensor maybe? What wire colors? Any chance you could post a pic?

Never seen what ehall described but it would not surprise me in the least.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old April 8th, 2011, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
The small connector at the rear is for one of the transfer case lights; if it has a pigtail and is yellow/black and red/black then it's the jumper for the 242 transfer case. Some of the later years had different harnesses depending on how the jeep was ordered
that looks right. Below is a pic of my 95 AW4, the 91 looks the same.

So both the 97 and 95 trannys have the same 5 color wires (black, white/tan, white/black, violet/white, blue/white) for the speed sensor and solenoids, that must be where the simple cut/splice occurs.

Old April 17th, 2011, 18:06
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Kastein for the info and helping another heap stay on the trail
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:17
NAXJA Forum User

I'm doing a tranny & transfer case swap... the swap is this:

Donor = 88 xj with power option automatic tranny and 242 t-case.
Receiving = 93 xj with standard tranny and 231 t-case.

Upon reading this tread I know the swap is a direct bolt up however I'm a little confused and need mor clarification about electrical connectors.

The automatic 88 Donor tranny's plug is 2 wire, it also has the power transmission switch in the dash.

The standard 93 receiving xj has a 3 wire connector and of course, no power option.

My question's are: how do I splice the 88 2 wire tranny plug to the 93 3 wire plug in the 93 engine compartment? How do I get the power option into the dash?
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:52
NAXJA Forum User

I found a 01 trans. To put in my 97 . So the only change I have to make is the speed sensor inside tail housing? I see no mention of connectors being different for swap and computer change since sensors communication to ecm will be different with newer trans and sensors. Is is sensor only or all the items for computer processing?
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:37
NAXJA Forum User

[QUOTE=lawsoncl;245215766]Up to 1993.5, the ZJ 4.0 came with the AW4.

I believe that is correct. The renix TCUs all had grey connectors and can be interchanged. There might be subtle changing in the shifting maps, but they can be swapped. The HO TCUs all had green connectors, and red seems to correspond to the Chrysler made trannies.

They interchange. As you stated, shifting differences along the line. I believe in 1987 they shifted 1,2,3 lock converter, unlock converter as it went to OD, lock converter in OD. 1988 and later shifted 1,2,3,OD, lock converter.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

When you say "simple Butt crimp" i'm wondering what i'm doing wrong because it isn't simple to me. I put in a 96 aw4 into my 97 cherokee and the 96 has 7 wires, but the 97 has 5. I hooked up 5 of the color coded ones but the jeep won't start.

Do you know which wires go where? any advice?

Thanks in advance for the help and the extremely helpful thread.
Old September 12th, 2011, 14:37
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Are you sure you didn't wire the NSS to the TCU harness and the solenoid harness to the NSS plug on the wiring harness? That could easily cause a no-start... wiring the TCU/solenoid harness wrong should not cause one, it just won't shift right.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 12th, 2011, 20:43
NAXJA Forum User

so does the tc lockup in 4lo?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 19:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Are you sure you didn't wire the NSS to the TCU harness and the solenoid harness to the NSS plug on the wiring harness? That could easily cause a no-start... wiring the TCU/solenoid harness wrong should not cause one, it just won't shift right.
I actually figured it it. you just wire the same colors together and there will be 2 wires that are left alone. No idea what they do but the jeep runs fine.

However the 4x4 light doesn't come on, i'm not even sure if 4wheel drive works, i'll look into it. It might be because of a plug at the back of the trans, by the transfer case, it is a 2 wire plug that can either plug into the transfer case or into another plug that is hanging there. I haven't followed it to see where it goes but i think it just goes back to the engine bay and then into the giant mess of wires. Anyone know about this 2 wire plug? i can take pics if needed.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 20:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisonline1991 View Post
I actually figured it it. you just wire the same colors together and there will be 2 wires that are left alone. No idea what they do but the jeep runs fine.

However the 4x4 light doesn't come on, i'm not even sure if 4wheel drive works, i'll look into it. It might be because of a plug at the back of the trans, by the transfer case, it is a 2 wire plug that can either plug into the transfer case or into another plug that is hanging there. I haven't followed it to see where it goes but i think it just goes back to the engine bay and then into the giant mess of wires. Anyone know about this 2 wire plug? i can take pics if needed.
There's a socket on the transfer case that is for the 4WD indicator switch, and one on the tail housing of the transmission that is for the output speed sensor. The output speed sensor one is important, the other really isn't.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

If the front axle is a disconnect style, the 4wd light might be triggered by a vacumn switch mounted up on the firewall. At least that's how the older ones were setup.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 17:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
There's a socket on the transfer case that is for the 4WD indicator switch, and one on the tail housing of the transmission that is for the output speed sensor. The output speed sensor one is important, the other really isn't.
I have the output speed sensor one hooked up right now. Shouldn't they both be pluggin in though? i'd like to see the 4WD indicator on my dash when i'm in 4WD. I don't remember there being an extra plug on the old tranny?

Also mines a 97, so no vacuum.