• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's up with Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ 4.0 here and I was wondering what's up with this Mobile 1 oil I've just found. Website says it's good for a full year or 20k miles, whichever comes first. I've been using Mobil 1 high mileage/extended life and change out every 5k miles with a Wix filter. Should I switch over to this stuff and just change out every year (which is 10 k for me)?

Btw, apparently it's only offered in 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.

$15.oo per Qt.And the filter to go with it at about $15,,,,,I see no gain.Plus you have a truck engine.....use truck oil,10w30 or 15w40.
My 96 went 400,000 on the above/3000 miles&filter.
And it,s still going

Yeah, I would not. FWIW, 5W30 is recommended in 4.0's when ambient temps are consistently below freezing, 10W30 for anything higher than that. My owner's manual ('96 as well) recommends 7,500 miles for oil changes under "normal" operating conditions and 3,000 miles if you're operating in "severe" conditions, 4-wheeling, towing a trailer, that sort of thing. I split the difference at 6,000 miles since most of my time is spent on-road, but I do go 4-wheeling sometimes. Plus, it makes oil change time a good time to do all those other services that are "Every 12,000 miles..." My poison of choice is Mobil 1 High-mileage synthetic 10W30 from Wally World with a K&N wrench-off filter (HP2004), both of which see to be excellent, so I figure that's additional insurance. I haven't done MMO or other additives yet, but may try dumping a quart down my 4.0's throat in a few thousand miles for science. Be forewarned, if you want to find oil leaks on an old engine like a 4.0, run synthetic in a motor that's seen nothing but crappy, cheap conventional oil it's entire life...

Last edited:
'96 XJ 4.0 here and I was wondering what's up with this Mobile 1 oil I've just found. Website says it's good for a full year or 20k miles, whichever comes first. I've been using Mobil 1 high mileage/extended life and change out every 5k miles with a Wix filter. Should I switch over to this stuff and just change out every year (which is 10 k for me)?

Btw, apparently it's only offered in 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.

What you are doing is fine. More cars are going to light weight oils so its not surprising they introduced this "new" type of oil in the more common weights used today. Wix filters are OK. Ford FL1a filters work good too and are usually cheaper at Wal Mart.

I think the Mot FL1a is like 4 or 5$ at O'reilly

Back