• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch replacement in diesel xj

arotovegan

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a replacement clutch for my 2000 2.5 diesel xj but I understand that two different transmissions (ax 15 and NV3500) were put into them. How can I be sure of what transmission I have in mine? Also, do the two transmissions require different clutch kits? I can not afford to get the wrong clutch kit as I live in New Zealand and will most likely be importing one from the UK.

according to the wikipedia page
Late 1989–1999: Aisin-Warner AX15 five-speed manual, used with 2.5 L I4 diesel, 4.0 L I6, 23 spline output
2000–2001: New Venture Gear NV3550 five-speed manual, used with 2.5 L I4 diesel, 4.0 L I6, 23 spline output

Thanks. I did a bit over online research and I'm pretty sure that I do have the nv3550.

So the next question is: will the clutch kits be different? When I look for one online, they say that they fit a 97-01 cherokee 2.5 TD so does that mean that the clutch kit are the same?

hey I am a little surprised to hear back. thanks. So the 2.5 liter diesel AX15 and the diesel NV3550 both use the same clutch pack.
AND! the diesel clutch is different than the gas clutch correct??????????

I am running a gasser ax15 clutch behind a 4 cyl Kubota diesel, and it gear clatters pretty bad.

I think I am looking for the same clutch you have, but I have AX15.
Do you have a part # Are you happy with what you got?

I was looking for a HD diesel jeep clutch, but I don't think it exists

Did you end up getting yours from the UK?

I got a used turbo from UK ebay. it was a easy and good transaction, but like you said you don't want to make a mistake when you get parts from overseas.

thanks

"Kubota diesel" ??????

In Texas????

Where in Texas!!!!

Mine is a Nissan SD22 transplanted from a 1981 720 Nissan Pick up truck. Used the SD22, Nissan 720 pick up's 5 gear manual tranny and clutch assy on it. They make a HD clutch aftermarket on ebay for it, but the tranny is not the best gear box around. Weak input shaft bearings....

I thought I had the only XJ diesel in Texas!!!

COOL!!!!

"Kubota diesel" ??????

In Texas????

Where in Texas!!!!

Mine is a Nissan SD22 transplanted from a 1981 720 Nissan Pick up truck. Used the SD22, Nissan 720 pick up's 5 gear manual tranny and clutch assy on it. They make a HD clutch aftermarket on ebay for it, but the tranny is not the best gear box around. Weak input shaft bearings....

I thought I had the only XJ diesel in Texas!!!

COOL!!!!

Still got the rest of the truck? lol

Hi, Arotovegan thanks for keeping up with a year old thread. -- NO to the 2.5L VM; but I should be able to use the same clutch
Chrysler # 4864-835, Do you know the part # you used?

hi Ecomike I have 2 diesel converted xj's The 98 with the 2.2L Kubota/Carrier reefer engine in front of a stock 2wd AX15 that is daily driving for 2 years now . And a '96 with a Normally aspirated Mercedes 617 W/ & AW4.
I think I am maybe compounding my Part# problems and overthinking it a bit. I have a 1994 ax15 transmission and axle. but I run GenII '98 body. It messes me up a bit that there are different part #'s for the clutches from the 94 to the 97+ when I started looking for the diesel clutch. The 1994 Chrysler part # 4773 773 branches off into the aftermarket "LUK" and multiplies from there.
At the end of the day for the US or the UK I want a 10.4" , 1-1/8" 10T spline diesel clutch disc, not a gas clutch disc, and that is easy enough I hope, if you don't count that it has to come from the UK. but in '1994 If you are not careful you can get a AX5 diesel clutch I think?, and I don't really want that.

Check your PMs. What part of Texas are you in?

Hi, Arotovegan thanks for keeping up with a year old thread. -- NO to the 2.5L VM; but I should be able to use the same clutch
Chrysler # 4864-835, Do you know the part # you used?

hi Ecomike I have 2 diesel converted xj's The 98 with the 2.2L Kubota/Carrier reefer engine in front of a stock 2wd AX15 that is daily driving for 2 years now . And a '96 with a Normally aspirated Mercedes 617 W/ & AW4.
I think I am maybe compounding my Part# problems and overthinking it a bit. I have a 1994 ax15 transmission and axle. but I run GenII '98 body. It messes me up a bit that there are different part #'s for the clutches from the 94 to the 97+ when I started looking for the diesel clutch. The 1994 Chrysler part # 4773 773 branches off into the aftermarket "LUK" and multiplies from there.
At the end of the day for the US or the UK I want a 10.4" , 1-1/8" 10T spline diesel clutch disc, not a gas clutch disc, and that is easy enough I hope, if you don't count that it has to come from the UK. but in '1994 If you are not careful you can get a AX5 diesel clutch I think?, and I don't really want that.

Back