• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KJ rear discs on my XJ 8.25

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on replacing the garbage rear drums on my XJ, I have heard that the KJ swap is a direct bolt on swap, so I figured this would be the way to go. What I am wondering is what all I need to complete this swap. I’ll list what I think I’ll need and if anyone knows of things I am missing please let me know. Thanks again as always for your informative help.

KJ backing plates
KJ parking brake cables
Rotors
Pads
Calipers
New wheel studs?
Parking brake shoes

anything else? I plan on buying all new parts.

You'll definitely want longer wheel studs. I used xj front studs for mine. You'll also want the hardware from the kj backing plates, it is slightly longer. You'll need new hard brake lines for the rear, or shorten the ones that are there and re flare them. You'll also want soft lines, i used wj, but I had to do some slight grinding for them to fit on the caliper, I believe zj ones work as well. That's everything I can think of, just did this swap a few months ago.

I have no idea about the KJ parking brake cables fitting, I went with MORE for those.

You need a disc-disc proportioning valve. I just swapped the guts from a ZJ valve into mine. Works great.

I'd replace the wheel bearings and seals while there since the shafts must come out. I'm very pleased with the Lubelocker gasket, although i do have an aftermarket cover so it's a lot stiffer than the stock sheetmetal. I can't say how well they work with the stock.

Now would be a good time to upgrade to at least 29 spline axles while your there!

I thought you were going to use Rubi axles?

Mine worked with the XJ prop valve.

I used WJ soft lines to the caliper.

Longer wheel studs a must.

5ceaba638d13e35c369ac5c7bdf8947f.jpg

I never hooked up the e-brake.

e528227236d4f3c8367180ce0e6b8924.jpg

I am going to be using Dana 44’s but I’m getting them from a buddy and they are fully built. He was supposed to already have his new axles but something happened so taking possession of them has been put on hold until the end of August. I wouldn’t waste my time but I’ll be towing my boat and Sea-Doo a lot this summer and the braking ability with those is deplorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont plan on finding new brackets. You can only get them from the dealer and they're like 300 a piece. I opted for the an disk swap because the timing was right.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Or just get the correct ones for a perfect fit and function!
P1080481_zpsmeoobn1a.jpg

P1080475_zps7nkh9vbp.jpg

Those decrease your leverage and increase travel on a system that barely works when 100% right!

Back