• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help identifing fluid

9T3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The other day my brother showed me an oil with a reddish tint leaking from his cherokee. It looks like its leaking out of a hose that goes from the firewall to the accumulator for the AC.

What kind of fluid is this?

My thought is that it might be the oil used to lube the AC system, but i'm not sure. Anybody know?

Sounds like R-12 oil to me, might wanna get that fixed. Errr...before summer that is.

Last edited:
I thought that R-12 was colorless? I read that the AC system uses mineral oil to lube it and that what I think it is but im not sure.

Is there a reservoir that i can check?

no resovoir opn the AC system. Turn on the AC system and find thw watch glass. I'm not sure where it's at, I don't have AC in the MJ, but the procedure is the same for most systems. Find the watch glass and turn on the system. If you see bubbles in the line then the pressure is low. If you suspect that all of the refrigerant has leaked out then do not turn on the AC, you'll likely damage the compressor.
A picture of where it comes out would probably help a lot.

langer1 said:
Unless it has Dye check in it.

X2

A lot of times in automotive air conditioning systems, a red dye will be added to the system in an attempt to locate a leak. In your case, looks like it may have worked. Although I don't do automotive a/c, my thought has always been the only thing that belongs in a trefrigeration system is refrigerant and oil.:lecture:

9T3XJ said:
It looks like its leaking out of a hose that goes from the firewall to the accumulator for the AC.
That just sounds like a maybe to me. Just because you see fluid in a certain place doesn't mean that is the spot that is leaking.

jelrod said:
That just sounds like a maybe to me. Just because you see fluid in a certain place doesn't mean that is the spot that is leaking.
On second thought your correct, it could be ATF blowing out the fill tube if it,s something dripping. The AC dye don't drip, because it dries in place.

My first thought when he said it had a reddish tint was ATF, but after looking at it i really don't see how it could be. All go check it again and try to get some pics while Im at it.

If it's old enuff to have R-12....the red dye known as dyetell is dissolved in the oil...it does not "dry up", and will drip and ooze everywhere. Nasty stuff and about useless for pinpointing leaks.

Dawg

RSES member for 21 years.

Back