• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluids

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
I spent some time searching for these answers and came up with mixed answers or some questions I couldn't find answers to. So, any help would be nice, thanks

Rear Diff. Fluid- What kind should I run, synthetic? And how much will I need, 2-3 qts?
231 Xfer case- Mobil 1 Synthetic, how much should I buy?
AW4- Dextron w/ certified #, no Mobil 1 ATF, should I buy a case of this? What's the best way to change the fluid, drop the pan? Thanks

Diffs will take mobil-1 gear oil if you don't have a limited slip, my auburn limited slip specifically says 'mineral grade'. Ran mobil-1 in it till the auburn went in last month, now it has kendall.
For the TC, pickup 3 quarts of Mobil-1 ATF and use one of those plastic ketchup squeeze bottles to fill it.
For the auto, you can drain the pan but that only gets some of it out. I've never owned an auto but I have seen some here that disconnect the tranny lines going to the cooler and allow the one side to drain and pour fluid in the other while it's running. Thats also how the tranny flush machines do it. Never tried it myself...

I suggest Amsoil for the diffs...it will give you better mileage over Mobile 1. You don't need 3 quarts for the TC...I just did my 231 with 1 quart of mobile 1 ATF. For the transmission, I wouldn't waste my money on synthetic. It's already going to last forever as long as you keep the fluid somewhat clean. And you'll need to flush at least 12 quarts through if you're changing from dino to synthetic.

Churchlady said:
'96 Classic

Do I have a limited slip differential? :eek:

Limited slip was only available as an option, either by itself or as part of some packages. If your Jeep had it from the factory, there should be a sticker somewhere (perhaps inside the glove box) with some cautions, and there SHOULD be a tag on the rear differential indicating that it has limited slip. The diff tag sometimes disappears the first time the diff is serviced ... if the diff ever gets serviced.

Quick check for a LSD or traction device, jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground then turn one tire, if the other tire spins in the opposite direction then you have an open diff. If it spins in the same direction you may have a traction device in it.

OK, I'm going to try Amsoil in my 8.25 and see how things go. How much will I need, 2-3 qts enough?

TC, I'm gonna get 2 qts of Mobil 1 ATF

Tranny, well still having mixed ideas about this. Still not sure what the best way to go about this is. I don't want to switch to synthetic, so can I just drop the pan and put in new? What should I get and how much will I need? I'm hoping to do this stuff asap. Thanks for all the help

woody431 said:
OK, I'm going to try Amsoil in my 8.25 and see how things go. How much will I need, 2-3 qts enough?

TC, I'm gonna get 2 qts of Mobil 1 ATF

Tranny, well still having mixed ideas about this. Still not sure what the best way to go about this is. I don't want to switch to synthetic, so can I just drop the pan and put in new? What should I get and how much will I need? I'm hoping to do this stuff asap. Thanks for all the help

My Haynes manual says 2.4 quarts for the 8.25, but mine was full with 2 quarts. You only need 1 quart for the transfer case. I just did mine a week ago and I only needed about 2 ounces short of a quart. For the tranny, you don't even need to drop the pan. Just drain it, and fill it up again. I suggest you do this 2-3 times because you are only changing half the fluid. It's a good idea to measure the amount that drains out, and put that much back in.

Back