• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical Window Regulator for 1995 XJ

GROVEXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Cherokee XJ Sport, 6cyl. 4.0 liter with a broken driver's door window regulator, mechanical hand crank not electric. I have found out that the manufacturer has discontinued that part and due to the fact that most of the regulators were electric, there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket source for that part. I would prefer not to get a used part if possible, but may have to if there is no other source. Has anyone found a solution to this problem or have another suggestion? Thanks for any help. Mike

I don't have an answer for your problem. I think used is the most likely solution. What I will recommend is that you take a drill, good gloves and long sleeves to the junkyard. You probably will need the drill to remove rivets (you can replace these with screws and nylok nuts when it comes to the installation) and you will want the gloves and long sleeves to protect your hands/arms while wrestling with things inside the door. There are some nice sharp edges to be found on that sheet metal. Be prepared.

Pulling one in the junkyard will be good practice for figuring out how to deal with the challenges of R&Ring these things. Working inside doors is one of my least favorite jobs on a vehicle. Too many fiddly bits that have to be positioned entirely by feel, and the "by feel" has to be done in a bunch of sharp sheet metal. Yippee.

In your case, you might be in luck. I think the power and non power are pretty much the same, except for the motor. You simply take the motor off since you already have the crank, stub shaft and other parts specific to the manual window.

Although a different vehicle, I had this happen with my old truck (no longer have it). Manual regulator broke, none available except power. I was able to source a power unit and remove the motor. When I did, I simply bolted the stub shaft (where the crank arm attaches) and secure it to the regulator in place of the motor.

This might explain why you can only find power units.

If anybody knows differently, please post up.

Thank you both for your helpful input. I have found out that the design of the Jeep Regulator power unit does not allow for the removal of the motor and therefore make it compatible with the mechanical crank. So now will search through the local and not so local recyclers to see if I can locate a mechanical regulator. Thanks again.

If you find one, maybe post pics? I've only ever seen the electric version.

Saudade, I don't suppose you have pics of your "conversion"?

I have a 96 SE with manual everything and I'm realizing how difficult it is to find interior non power black door handles, etc. Finding regulators didn't occur to me, but now that I know how hard it is to find I'll be looking for spares of hard to find interior parts. Mine came without rear seat belts (US Forest Service) I wanted to add in tan, didn't have a center console, rear speakers, etc. Very basic, but does have skids, up country, trac lok, hd cooling, trans cooler, etc., so I'm okay without the other stuff. Can always add it later.

Try RockAuto. That is where I got my last one.

Back