• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and tap sye

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A local shop suggested a tap and hack sye. Has anyone done this? They said that I would need to get a front driveshaft. This is my daily driver and it has 4.5”lift.

Lots of Cherokee owners have done the H&T SYE and used a stock front driveshaft. A bit of research on your part is suggested.

Last edited:
I've done the IRO HnT on a 4.5" lift. It was originally, with a 8-1/4 axle. I just had enough length between the axle and the minimum spline of the TC output shaft. Also, the RC rear leaf springs were more like 5.5 to 6" of lift initially. Presently I have a Ford 8.8. I think a Dana 35 has a shorter snout. Also, IRO and others sell driveshafts to custom lengths.

I'm using a stock front drive shaft I got at a pick a part , I have a 4.5" lift , it is nice that I use the same drive shaft front and rear .

Mine is also the stock drive shaft front and rear. Just warning the OP, that at 4.5 lift, they might has fitment issues. So, there is a backup plan. Cost and flexibility of swapping the driveshaft front and rear is part of the perks on a true HnT. Also, I think the manual trans front shaft is a bit shorter. So, if fitment issues, that or other front driveshafts might be a low cost option.

Thank you, Going to go with the iron rock Hack and tap. Get a front driveshaft from the pull apart. The Jeep does have the RC lift and the springs seem like there is 5.5 inches.

Back