• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery Leak

krzcwby

NAXJA Forum User
So I just picked up a 94 xj with the 4.0l and auto but, I've got a little problem. I've got a coolant leak that is dripping out of the bottom of the bell housing. While idling it only drips very slowly, if I rev the motor a little the drip speeds up and when I shut it off it drips faster then when at idle until the motor cools (not as fast as when reved).
I checked around the head gasket area and to the best of my knowledge it's not the gasket( although it's hard to see behind the motor but, the top of the bell housing looks dry). I have also checked the hoses and they're all fine.
So is there a freeze plug in the back of the block? Could that be the problem? Has anyone ever had this kind of leak? Any other ideas?

Yes there is a freeze plug in back! I would also check the coolant temp. gauge sending unit which is also near the back of the head (drivers side) adjacent to where the ground strap is.

krzcwby said:
So is there a freeze plug in the back of the block? Could that be the problem? Has anyone ever had this kind of leak? Any other ideas?

1. Yes
2. Possibly.
3. Yes.
4. Do a search. There are a few writeups in the forums, complete with pictures.

Probably a Freeze Plug

I just picked up a '98 cherokee 2dr with 117k (for $3270) and after the drive home noticed a similar drip. I had a coupon for a free 16-point inspection from the local dealership so I figured I'd let them diagnose it. They just got back to me today saying it was indeed the freeze plug behind the bell and that it would be $684 to change it (of which only $38 was parts). I know I'm going to have it fixed, but I'm now trying to find a place with a lower labor rate than the dealer. Anyone have any recommendations for shops within an hour or two of the Philadelphia area?

TIA.

-Tim

If you cannot do it yourself, it is either engine out or trans out, you have to pay the piper. $700 may be a bit high but you may have selected a high price shop. Do shop around but don't look for the cheapest, or cut corners.

krzcwby said:
So I just picked up a 94 xj with the 4.0l and auto but, I've got a little problem. I've got a coolant leak that is dripping out of the bottom of the bell housing. While idling it only drips very slowly, if I rev the motor a little the drip speeds up and when I shut it off it drips faster then when at idle until the motor cools (not as fast as when reved).
I checked around the head gasket area and to the best of my knowledge it's not the gasket( although it's hard to see behind the motor but, the top of the bell housing looks dry). I have also checked the hoses and they're all fine.

If you're lucky, it could be the freeze plug on the back of the cylinder head that's leaking in which case, only the head would need to come off.
My gut feeling, when I hear about coolant dripping from the bellhousing, is that it's the freeze plug on the back of the block that's leaking in which case, bad luck. Either the engine or the tranny is gonna have to come out, so that's a minimum 6 hours labor to replace a $1 part. Yeah, life's a bitch when that happens.

meaded said:
If you cannot do it yourself, it is either engine out or trans out, you have to pay the piper. $700 may be a bit high but you may have selected a high price shop. Do shop around but don't look for the cheapest, or cut corners.

Well, they're going to start on it today. It turns out the initial quote of $684 was to replace only the one plug which leads me to believe the dealership was going to pull the transmission. I dropped it off at a local jeep shop who agreed that it was silly to only replace the one. They're said they'd pull the engine and change them all for around 700-750. I just got a call saying they'd started and noticed that another plug on the front of the engine was beginning to leak as well. I'd much rather be putting that $650 worth of labor into some modifications rather than the replacement of $28 worth of brass, but at least that'll be one thing I don't have to worry about down the road.

Back