• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 truetrac

one of the better upgrades I've made. I'd lock the rear first tho... personally have the 8.25 and it's a bit more stout and gets better traction on climbs.

some will disagree that locking front is better, so I locked both.

That’s what I plan on doing. Was gonna do a zip locker in the rear and do the truetrac in the front. It’s not gonna be a mainly for when I need it. Had a lock rite locker in a zj it sure helped

Just realize that the truetrac is a limited slip diff and not a locker. That being said I have one in the rear of my F-350 tow rig and like it.

Good I’ve been reading a lot on them. I ended up ordering one hasn’t came in yet wanting it for inclement weather my driveway is pretty rough especially when snow and ice are on the ground. I really haven’t heard any bad reviews on them.

I have a truetrac in the front (d30) and detroit in the rear (ford 8.8), and they work pretty well. I'm upgrading the front to a d44, and while I'm at it going with elockers, but I was happy with the trutrac while I had it.

Good I’ve been reading a lot on them. I ended up ordering one hasn’t came in yet wanting it for inclement weather my driveway is pretty rough especially when snow and ice are on the ground. I really haven’t heard any bad reviews on them.

Does your XJ have an NP231 or NP242?

I have a Trutrac at the rear, and it helped enormously with traction in rainy weather in RWD mode. For driving on slick roads, my pref for the front is a Trutrac as well. They deal with turns better, especially with a locking center diff (NP231).

I might do that as well I keep going back and forth on that or a no slip locker. Gonna have to figure my splines on the rear. It’s a 96 and I’m not sure I believe it’s a 27 spline but Im not positive.

I’m just thinking here. But if I do have 27 spline axles and wanted to switch to 29 spline axles. Do all I need to do is switch out the axle shafts? I can’t find a truetrac in 27 spline

No you cant just install the 29 axles in a 27, bearings different and will need to be machined out on the 27.

First tho what are your plans for the Jeep? You said inclement weather then I would just go with the truetrac in the front and keep it "driveable". Locking the rear is do able and a lot of people do it up north but it can handle differently and use light throttle.

NP242 with front truetrac and rear lunchbox sounds like the way to go for inclement weather and that's exactly what I have sitting in my garage for a year lol. I figured if the front is spinning with the truetrac I could left foot brake to lock it. I enjoy the lunchbox in the rear, makes it more tail happy and no more one wheel peel from a stop

Yeah think I’m gonna worry about that when the time comes after I install the front first. I know I don’t want to spend 1k on that axle when a $300 locker will do the trick. First things first install this one.

There is no machine work required, just a 29 spline carrier.

Keep in mind if you're in a situation where the front wheels are just spinning and you're not going anywhere. Left foot brake and right foot gas, slowly keep applying the brakes power should be sent from the spinning wheel to the other side. If you remember too I'll yank up the handbrake then do all this.

You really shouldn't be in the position unless you're on ice or just stuck. I know it's hard to remember on the spot but can be helpful. I'm just saying because for the differential to work both wheels need traction and if one does not have traction then the differential won't "lock"

Back