• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior and dash lights, parking brake release

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 88 'Manche 4.0 5spd, and I don't have any lights lighting up on the inside of the truck when the headlights are on. The dash lights seem to work, as the blinker lights come on, and the shift indicator and 4wd indicator work, but there is no backlighting to the dash or any of the overhead lights. I replaced the headlight switch and the lights in the instrument panel are good, any other ideas?

I'm also looking for a parking brake release pull and cable, new or used. I ordered one off of www.partsamerica.com, but aparently it is out of stock. This is one item that doesn't swap over from a Cherokee. Anybody have any luck swaping the whole lever in from an XJ? Which would be easier, finding a release or switching setups?

I need to get both of these things ironed out in order to pass PA inspection by the end of the month. Thanks ahead of time...

Check the tail lamp fuse, along with the dash illumination fuse. Dash illumination is tapped from the tail lamp circuit.

The courtesy lamps are not in the off (lens in the center position) are they?

Check fuses, spray with contact cleaner any sections of the fuse box that are suffering from clutch master cylinder leakage problems. Twist the light switch slightly from one side to the other when lights are on. HTH

Back