• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting a better ride....

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
okay, ive got a 99 cherokee sprt 4d with a 4.5" rough country lift. i know, i know, save it cause it's too late to get a different lift. to be honest it doesnt ride allll that terrible, it rides like a put a 4.5" lift on it, but it could be a lot better. i was wondering if there are some things to do to make it ride a bit better. im thinking a different set of coils... so any suggestions would be appreciated

a_hiatt said:
i woudn't think a tire could make that much difference, i think im gonna try skyjacker springs..

Actually, tires can make a little difference in ride quality. Not necessarily in brand, but in tire pressure. Check your tire pressure, and run it around 30-32 and it helps. Also, Skyjacker springs have a high spring rate, so they are pretty stiff. Check into Rubicon Express springs. Rusty's coils aren't too bad either. OME shocks are a real nice ride.

Tires can make a difference, I've experienced it first hand, some tires are just stiffer. I'm running 4" Sky Jacker TJ coils, the ride is decent,I think to make a big difference, drop brackets or long arm would be the best way to spend,even at 4" my lower control arms are at a pretty steep angle.

My original lift was a rough country. I dont think it rode that rough. My problem was the springs in the rear were very noisy on the trail and they sacked 2", the coils bent soooo bad they were hitting the shocks.:flamemad:

Before I changed out the springs, I replaced the POS Heckethorn shocks that came with the kit with Bilstien 5150's. The next thing was a Tera long arm. after that the heep rode better than stock. Since then I have replaced the springs with RE springs. Muuuuuch better

I think your cheapest option is to upgrade to a set of quality shocks. It won't make a world of difference, but the shocks that come with that kit are crap and you will be able to tell a difference. I also hear that flexing your suspension helps out the ride too.

i've taken it offroad a couple times lately, and it's riding slightly smoother...

assuming i can weld/fabricate brackets and stuff, what do i need for a LA coverstion kit

im running 33x10.50 tsl radials. not the best riding/quiet tire but i got a good deal, i let a little air out of them and it seems to be riding better.

anyway, back to my long arm question.

what all would i need

Back