• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Disc Brakes on a Currie Ford 9 inch

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1990 XJ I have a Curie built Ford nine inch rear end, and as near as I can tell, the Explorer type disc brake set up.

The brake hose from each caliper is fairly short, banjo fitting on caliper, and each goes to a metal line joined at a mount. the mount is a tab welded to the axle tube with a hole to couple the hose to pipe thru,thus securing the hose to tubing joint in place. On driver side, the shock is really close to the brake line mounting tab, such that they had to place the tab up high near top of the axle tube rather than at rear side of the tube, (driver side shock is behind axle, passenger side shock in front of axle.)

Anyway, the location of the brake hose to tube mount will interfere with the bump stop, which is likely why they never installed a bump stop!

I want to move the mounting tab down the axle to clear both shock and bump stop.
This means likely a longer rubber hose is needed for the caliper, and a new section of metal line.

What are the specifications for the explorer type hose, what are the two ends described as, what size flare (double flare) is on the metal tube to hose, and what type banjo fitting is on the caliper. I will need this info to,order a different length hose and to make up a new tube with the correct ends.

I have no idea as all prior experience with brake fittings I have is with really old VWs and Triumphs.

where might I source different length brake hoses that have the same ends as the Explorer brakes?

Is there a 90 degree fitting, i.e. an elbow that I can place between the hose and tube? Where might I find an elbow with the correct ends? An elbow will simplify this for me.

Any help in identifying the thread size, flare size, banjo size for this will be greatly appreciated. I prefer not to open up the brake lines to try to find the sizes, as I still need to drive the jeep until I am ready with the new parts.

thanks!

Back