• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing axle width.....

I have an idea what portals are but have not seen them.

My XJ is 95% highway so I would like to keep it easily serviceable using over the counter parts. Also, weight is a definite concern.

My thoughts go like this,... cut axle tube somewhere in the middle, i.e. between the center section and the outer end. Insert a sleeve and weld it back together. Add an truss. Done.

if your jeep is 95% highway, what is the benefit of wider axles?

most people go wider to gain the stability that a wider track width gives you on the trail. what (i feel) is a better reason to go wider, is to actually run a wheel with proper backspacing for a good scrub radius, which decreases steering effort while maintaining a wider track width. furthermore, there are FAR BETTER axles out there worth putting money into, that are already wider.

- Ford HP44
- JK44
- KP60
- SD60

time, material, and consumables factored into widening/building a front axle... youll be ahead to just buy a better starting point instead of creating something that potentially needs custom parts. if you want to do something just because you think you can do it... feel free to create a product that is marginal in strength and has zero equity when you are done with it.

if your jeep is 95% highway, what is the benefit of wider axles?

most people go wider to gain the stability that a wider track width gives you on the trail. what (i feel) is a better reason to go wider, is to actually run a wheel with proper backspacing for a good scrub radius, which decreases steering effort while maintaining a wider track width. furthermore, there are FAR BETTER axles out there worth putting money into, that are already wider.

- Ford HP44
- JK44
- KP60
- SD60

time, material, and consumables factored into widening/building a front axle... youll be ahead to just buy a better starting point instead of creating something that potentially needs custom parts. if you want to do something just because you think you can do it... feel free to create a product that is marginal in strength and has zero equity when you are done with it.

Adding width to a front axle was/is not part of the question rather the rear axle. As said before, I would (do not widen but) change a passenger drop to driver drop without so much as questioning or mentioning it on this forum. The rear D44 I have there for 12+ years or an Isuzu D44 that reportedly have 4.56 gears and some sort of traction device (there is still a question on that) and are available here in FL by the dozens for $150.00 or less is the axle I am referring to.

What is a KP60 or an SD60? Anything larger than a D44 is not being considered unless it already have everything I want it to have and ready to bolt in. I will add spring perches and shock mounts,.. little things. The way I see it, the D44 out back is adequate except that it have 4" added onto it by way of by way of spacers/adopters to fit the JK 5X5 wheels. I would to get rid of the spacers and retain the wide stance. The front D30, also have 4" of spacers/adaptors i.e. 2" per side. The axle shafts have been removed in 2009. Essentially, my XJ have been a 2WD since 2009. OH!, the D44 out back was donated by a 1987 XJ.

Re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.56 is in the plans. What I have not said is, the D30 still houses the standard 3.55 gears. I want to build once and build good which includes gears and selectable lockers. The ECTED out back still work good so it may stay.

I love the comments posted here. They are rather educational and invigorating. It seem everyone think that adding to the width of a rear axle is a bad idea, or is it really bad? Hmmmm! food for thought.

If we’re specifically talking rear axles, I feel like full size truck rear axles are cheap enough to not warrant the idea.

Isuzus D44 arent a direct swap. Yes cheap but by the time you get it built to drop in better going with something else. Time is money for me. Id rather pay a little more for ease. Just me though some people are fine putting in more work.

narrowing an axle is a better practice than trying widen it. especially if you are going to do the hack method described earlier. look into the full width ford 8.8s and 9". very good aftermarket support and cut to length shafts are plentiful, so you can accommodate what ever with you decide to go with.

stock track width is about 60", and you are wanting to get rid of 4" worth of wheel spacers.... then just swap full width axles under it and be done. with proper back spacing your track width wont even change. but given the usage... the case could be made to invest that money elsewhere.

narrowing an axle is a better practice than trying widen it. especially if you are going to do the hack method described earlier. look into the full width ford 8.8s and 9". very good aftermarket support and cut to length shafts are plentiful, so you can accommodate what ever with you decide to go with.

stock track width is about 60", and you are wanting to get rid of 4" worth of wheel spacers.... then just swap full width axles under it and be done. with proper back spacing your track width wont even change. but given the usage... the case could be made to invest that money elsewhere.

Thanks VAhasnoWAVES. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Little by little the entire picture is becoming clearer to me.

Here goes,...

The JK wheel currently installed have 6.25 back spacing.

Stock JK axle have 65.25"WMS to WMS and a track width of 61.9" with the OEM wheels.

Stock XJ WMS to WMS is 60". With the OEM wheels, track width is 58".?

My XJ with OEM D44 and JK wheels and tires track width is measured at 61" which includes the 4" of spacers (2" per side).

My wish is to maintain as close as possible the 61" track width without spacers/adaptors. That mean the axle shafts will have to accommodate the JK wheels that have a center hole diameter of 2.8" and 5 X 5" bolt pattern.

Back