• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage?

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
Best way that you have found to get better gas mileage and any opinions on what i should do. I have an 88' wagoneer "woody" on 31's and a 3" suspension kit. I have flowmasters and i recently just rigged the cone filter in place of my air box to get rid of my oil blowby gettin in the box, which it seems that ol' woody's got some hidden power i did not know about. But anyways i was wonderin what you guys have done to improve your gas mileage. Thanx for any and all help.

Oh yea before my new intake i was gettin about 13-14 mpg around town.

just a good full tune up is your best bet. i only got about 15-16 when i was stock around town. remember, its a brick with a 6cyl engine. if you really want to improve mileage, get 4.10 gears to compensate for the 31's. but that isnt cheap and probably no worth it.

The biggest thing you can do, as stated, is proper gears for your tires.

Also, new o2 sensor, make sure your cat is in good shape, on that 88 make sure your EGR works correctly, fix any vacume leaks and keep your foot out of it.

A few incarnations of my jeep ago, I avg'd 22 mpg with 4.56 gears and 32's. Now I get closer to 17-18 with 4.88's and 35's.

A few incarnations of my jeep ago, I avg'd 22 mpg with 4.56 gears and 32's. Now I get closer to 17-18 with 4.88's and 35's.

what was your mileage stock? 22mpg would be sweet lifted. eventually i will get bigger tires and deeper gears.

22 lifted? Damn. Depending on the gas (E10 sucks) and conditions I'm getting 18-21 tops... maybe time for plugs / wires / gears /
slowing down...

what was your mileage stock? 22mpg would be sweet lifted. eventually i will get bigger tires and deeper gears.

I don't know. I had a 4.5" lift and 32's within 2 tanks of gas of buying my XJ. Its not my first 4x4 and I bought it with a plan in mind.. ;)

I will say that its an 87, aw4/4.0, and low miles - always tuned well (except right now).

Well i guess ill fiddle around with it and make sure everything is tuned up. Yea i cant afford gears so i think that might be down the road, also isnt 3.73's the correct gears or is that wrong. Just what ive heard. Also how do i check the cat and see if it is working well? Thanx for all your input.

also isnt 3.73's the correct gears or is that wrong. Just what ive heard.

While that was a very incomplete question, 3.73 is the wrong answer either way.

Right now you should have 3.07 or 3.55 gears depending on manual/auto, and you want 4.10 gears, or 4.56 if you think that 32's or 33's is in your future.

How you guys getting 22 lifted?! My brothers stock 2wd xj gets 19 driving like a grandma. Mine stock I got around 14-15 and with 31s i got around 12 n with my 33s n locking hubs now so i can unlock the front im getting about 12-13.

But its a lifted jeep...I never expected good gas mileage...especially once the new axles, lift, n tires are on.

No i did not mean stock gears were 3.73's i meant that the compensated gears would be 3.73's. I am telling you what a tech guy at Rusty's told me. Now i have a dana 35 in the rear so i would not go bigger unless i got a beefier one, which i may do sown the road. Also while we are on gears, how much would it cost me to regear the front and rear totally, by myself. What would i need, not need? I keep hearing different things.
oh and i believe i have 3.55's in it now. Thanx

Mine is a 99 85k mi, 4.0l diy 9" cone filter, 5w20 Castrol syntec all the rest is box stock. My wife's last fill up she got 22.50 around town.

i have a 1991 with a 5 speed manual lifted with 33's and horrible stock 3.55 gearing and i get about 10 miles to the gallon, hopefully when i re-gear i can get better. anyone else have this bad of gas mileage with their lifted xj's?

i have a 1991 with a 5 speed manual lifted with 33's and horrible stock 3.55 gearing and i get about 10 miles to the gallon, hopefully when i re-gear i can get better. anyone else have this bad of gas mileage with their lifted xj's?

Yep..........10mpg with 34s and 4.56 gears

Iv replaced
-Cap, wires, plugs
-filter
-cat
-O2
-RP oil
-etc.

Yup I can only get 180 miles out of a tank of fuel before the light comes on
31's 3.55's and I drive like a granny!

Something is terribly wrong but it runs AMAZING
City and Highway mileage is the exact same... I'm clueless
edit: has been fully tuned up last year

Yup I can only get 180 miles out of a tank of fuel before the light comes on
31's 3.55's and I drive like a granny!

Crap thats bad!

I have 30" 3.07s and a 3" lift, with a heavy bumper, a winch, and I lack the patience/ discipline to baby it for a whole tank. still when I try I can get like 250mi out of a tank. before my tires I once broke 300mi on a tank, that was my proudest moment!

also you have to take into consideration that with the bigger tires(given you havent fixed this already) you are actually covering more ground then the odometer is telling you. with 30-31"s probably not a lot more but still more.

No that's the said part... my stock speedo was off from the factory (common Jeep thing I have read? Probably for better fuel economy ratings)

With my 31's my speedo is dead nuts on, GPS verified multiple times :(
I wish I could get 250miles out of a tank of fuel

When I was running my XJ as a DD (6" of lift, 33x12.50s, 4.56 gears and a 5spd,) I was getting 16mpg or so commuting, a bit better on the highway. In bone stock form, I got 22pmg on 1 tank of gas, running across da YooPee at 60-62 mph and practically no stops.

Back