• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle wrap on front axle ???

xjj33p3r

NAXJA Member #1108
I don't know how major this could be, but here it goes

As I was backing out today, I noticed a clunk when I would hit the brakes. It felt weird, but the brakes were working fine, so I didn't worry about that. When I had a friend back it up and look, I saw that my axle was actually twisting clockwise, as in the pinion would jerk downwards. Now, I don't know exactly how an axle with coils and 4 control arms could do this, but I want to know if anyone's heard of it.

I tried searching, but oddly enough, it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone on here.

xjj33p3r said:
Talkin about worn bushing on the control arms?
Actually its most likely the ones on your axle. The upper control arms use bushings that are pressed into the axle housing. These are the ones that go bad most often. They are cheap to buy but a major PITA to replace. They are pressed into the housing.

Well that's just super :( I think I'm going to try and find some adjustable uppers, my pinion angle sucks balls and I get vibes :(

That is typically worn out upper control arm axle bushings. With a home made bushing tool or a ball joint press they are pretty simple to replace. I can do one in about 15 minutes.

How can I get those bushings out with basic tools? I'm going to try and replace those upper arms anyways, they are too short :(

BrettM said:
worn bushings, loose bolts, etc

Or front leaf springs?

CRASH

the new adjustable UCA's will use the same bushings FYI... though it is a good idea to replace the bushing while parts are already out...
here's my RE UCA install - i kept the old bushings...
http://www.opiebennett.com/upperdrrveshaft.htm

another option is currie makes johny joints to go in the UCA axle end bushing holes...

Back