• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector swap problems

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So i recently did the much discussed injector swap for my 98 cherokee I used a set of 0280155746. Now my jeep idles horribly and feels like it might stall as Im going around town. Frankly it act like its suffocating imo. It reeks of gasoline but doesnt seem to be actually smoking from the exhaust its also knocking a fair amount. The only time it seems to be running okay is at wot. I talked to the guy at pep boys and he said i need a hotter spark. Im currently running bosch platinum 2 and he recommended going to plat 4 and an aftermarket coil. does anyone have any input

Last edited:
First of all, dump any and all Bosch plugs and replace them with Champion or NGK. Second of all, quit listening to parts guys at PepBoys. Then I'd suspoect bad injectors. Where did you get them? New or used?

Yeah im not keen on taking any advice from people in parts stores, it led me in all the wrong directions when I was a teenager. I got the injectors reman off ebay. And whats wrong with bosch plugs they have always been good to me.

Just unplug your battery and cycle your keys in the ignition to drain all the power and reset the computer so it can relearn with the new injectors, IF you have not done this already. Otherwise I would think a bad/stuck injector

Just unplug your battery and cycle your keys in the ignition to drain all the power and reset the computer so it can relearn with the new injectors, IF you have not done this already. Otherwise I would think a bad/stuck injector

I already did the reset. I guess Ill get the injectors returned

Yeah im not keen on taking any advice from people in parts stores, it led me in all the wrong directions when I was a teenager. I got the injectors reman off ebay. And whats wrong with bosch plugs they have always been good to me.

I, and many others, have had bad results using Bosch plugs, platinums in particular. I had driveability problems on a Honda Civic, Alfa Romeo, and a Dodge pickup, all solved by removing new Bosch plugs and installing NGKs. Lots of posts on the forums about it. They are expecially troublesome in the Jeeps. For some reason the Jeeps prefer Champion or NGK. Not trying to start a spark plug debate here. Just trying to help.

Believe it or not, our Heeps actually have one of the best ignition systems on the market right from the factory. I have yet to find any sort of aftermarket part that actually improves performance...

If you have reset the PCM and it is running poorly, the injectors are suspect and need to go. Although you do not have to reset the PCM when the stock injectors go back in, resetting it will cause it to learn faster. The PCM has a default map it uses as a baseline until it measures, via the O2 sensor, the actual mixture needed. It then modifies the map in volatile memory. Disconnecting the battery drops the values out of RAM forcing the PCM back into a learn mode and the default map.

Truth is, it learns every time you run it...

And I agree with just plain Copper Spark Plugs. They are what is specified for use by Jeep.

If the injectors you put in were used and sat for a while inbetween uses, they probably gummed up. Run a can of BG44k through the gas.

what about posibly mixing up 2 injector conections? when "I" did the swap on my renix(89) i had similar symptoms. turned out i mixed up 2 conections. made them right and now runs like it should. not sure if you said you had a "check engine" light on, and oh ya get rid of those "new fangled spark plugs"

thanks for all the input. I put my old injectors back in and my truck is running fine again. Guess Ill be retrying this at a later time.

Back