• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 - LSD identification

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
Could somebody tell me if my rear diff has an LSD or not by using the photo below...?

23jprtf.jpg

By what I can see, I would say no!

Yes, Limited Slip. Axle tags and glove box warnings are often long gone.

Open Diff on LEFT - Limited Slip on RIGHT

standard.jpg

Sooo it is? What would be the easiest way to confirm. My diff cover is installed again so preferably something that doesn't require removing the cover again.

Ok so I jacked up the jeep and turned the wheels by hand while in park and it responded like an open diff. I then turned the wheels while in Neutral and also in Drive and both responded like a Limited-Slip Diff. Which is correct?

The clutch pack wears out and the Limited Slip becomes an open differential. You can replace the clutch packs and restore the function.

Good to know I've got the factory Trac-Lok but I've been driving it for the last 2k miles without friction modifier. At this point do I even add it in?

I'm going to re-gear, install chromoly shafts and add a selectable ARB locker this winter. I was planning on installing the locker in the rear but if all I need to do is replace the clutch pack for the LSD in the rear then maybe it makes sense to install the locker on the front axle.

You can install a lunchbox type locker in a Limited Slip differential. They are not many that fit, but they do exist.

You can install a lunchbox type locker in a Limited Slip differential. They are not many that fit, but they do exist.

Eventually I will install selectable lockers in the front and rear. To save myself a little coin I'm only going to install 1 selectable locker at the same time I re-gear and upgrade the axle shafts. I wouldn't install a lunchbox locker in the rear since I'm going to add a selectable locker in the future.

It would seem the smart play would be to install the first selectable locker on the front axle and replace the LSD clutch pack in the rear at the same time I Re-gear and upgrade the axle shafts. I'll likely install the 2nd selectable locker in March 2020 (tax season).

Chrysler 8.25 lsd.
I have the rear diff stripped, and just about straighten the housing, 1/2" each side out of alignment.
Diff case has moved forward after being T-boned.
I went all out and fab'd a torture rack.
Anyhow......
The Trac lok center in my 8.25, the clutch packs need replacing. Are these the same replacement parts used in any of the dana Trac lok centers?

Back