• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 1989 Jeep Comanche

Well, since I am bored, and I want an easy place to see my changes. Here is my 1989 Jeep Comanche. 4cyl, 4spd, 2wd. I bought it as a DD and it is getting fixed up as such. So far I have changed out the door seals to the newer ones from the Cherokees, and tinted the windows. Changed the ujoints and rear brakes, and also added newer interior lights. I have also added a new Pioneer head unit that plays anything including an Ipod. Got new tires and an alignment, but that is not in these pictures. Hopefully have some more up in a week that show the drop w/new shocks, tires and black painted flairs.

Flightline picture - c-130 in the background at Maxwell AFB
DSC02215.jpg

Full gauge cluster, w/ black faces instead of blue, installed. And the new headunit. I also snagged the clock from a JY
newtunes.jpg

got some new interior lights from advance, only had to drill two holes and shave a little of the existing space.
insidelight.jpg

After washing it the first time. I have the badges, but they do not look that great. Might just leave them off. I also just painted the grill and surrounds
frontleft2.jpg

Interior is not bad. Headliner does not even sag. Little bit of dirt. I need to clean it a bit. And I want to add a sound barrier in the floor and carpet it
interior4.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a Jeep2500 front clip and fenders on the way from a group buy on ComancheClub.com. I do not know if I want to use it or a 2000 clip yet. Still kinda deciding. I figure I can always sell the 2500 stuff for what I have in it. I also want to start making a roll pan and an in channel bed cover for it. It has the odd aftermarket steel bumper on it right now, and I just don't really care for it. Plus a dealership stamped their name into it. The bed cover will involve laying come aluminum angle along the bed rails and laminating up a cover to sit in it on some weatherstripping. A few hinges and It would be done.

Wow. Nice MJ. How did you find one with only 80 miles on it?:smoker:

I've got to say, I like the 2000 front end better than the Jeep 2500. Actually, it looks good as it is.

I flipped the odometer when I replaced the cluster. Makes it a lot easier to keep a build log and keep track of maintenance. It has 200k on it. Still runs great. Nice power too. I was surprised. It will do 80 on the highway and still chirp tires without much effort.

Yea, I am still wishy washey on the 2500 stuff. But, Like I said, I am sure it will sell If I don't want it.

I bought it shortly after selling my 2002 SS camaro. My XJ is still in NC, and the wife and I needed 2 cars. Got it from Daphne, AL. Came from an older lady. Her husband could not drive the manual steering anymore due to a back injury.

Last edited:
I understand the upgrade of putting a 97-01 clip on the early XJ's, but not familiar with the term 2500 clip. Could someone explain?

Thanks.

still chirp tires without much effort.

Careful with that. I'm sure you have a Peugoet BA/10 which is *not* a strong transmission. Start looking for an AX-15 or NV-3550 now, before the trans dies.

even worse. I have the ax4 4spd. I would love to find one of those two for a good price though. But it is not at the top of my list to I start on a motor swap.

it really is. I was pretty impressed. The gearing is well matched to the motor and transmission. I was a little concerned with the 4cyl 4 spd on the highway vs in town, but it does both very well. I honestly could not really use more power in town. And on the highway it does 75-80 at right around 2600 rpm or so.

Thanks for the pic. Very interesting.... Kinda looks like a "Grand" XJ.

Jeep 2500, the Cherokee for China

chinajeep.jpg
i think this thing looks sexy. not much for trail duty but for street use would be sweet

Got the shackles in. Not much drop but it did level it out, and now it rides better since the rear shocks(XJ length sensatracs) are not maxxed out. Valve cover gasket was changed, but I dropped one of the flippin bolts between the block and the alt/ac bracket, so I need to go find another at a JY since they are goofy little special ones. Here are also some good pics of the on base facility I am doing most of this at. Cost me $3 an hour for use of the bay, tools included (toolbox and air tools).

niceshop1.jpg

niceshop3.jpg

niceshop4.jpg

xjshackle1.jpg

rearpostdrop.jpg

I am thinking of painting the wheel centers black, leaving a polished edge.

looking into cleaning up the wheels some, they have a lot of oxidation on them that does not show up well in the pictures. Any recommendations? I was thinking about a sander with a scotch brite pad. If I can get them clean enough I may leave them silver.

Back