• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS Recommendation

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm thinking of getting a GPS for use while trailriding, and am leaning towards Garmin. The mapping ones with expandability are:

eTrex Legend® HCx, eTrex Vista® HCx, GPSMAP 60CSx, GPSMAP® 76CSx, and the Colorado™ 400t (from cheapest to most expensive).

My wife has a Nuvi 660, and I've got Tomtom on my palm pilot, but that's it for my GPS use. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

REI has the GPSMap 60CSx on sale for $299 right now. That the best price on the best GPS I've seen.

/discussion

SCW said:
REI has the GPSMap 60CSx on sale for $299 right now. That the best price on the best GPS I've seen.

/discussion

How did you see that price? I go to REI's site and get $399.95

Stay away from the Colorado for the time being, lotsa bugs need to be worked out

Walmart has the 60csx fro $298

Very satisfied with mine

DrMoab said:
I have a 60CSX and love it.
QUOTE]

You can't go wrong with with the Garmin 60csx. I love mine as well.

Hans

xj-boonie said:
How did you see that price? I go to REI's site and get $399.95

Sorry for the slow reply, I didin't bother to check back in this post.

I got a flyer from REI last week with the lower price. Maybe an ad-only special? Now that it's been a week it might not be available for that price.

Truth is the Garmin Map60 series is the best GPS at any price, imnsho.

mage said:
Do any of you use that 60CSx with a Mac?

I'm a little late in replying, but we (meaning my wife - who is VERY computer savvy) hasn't figured out a way to use it with our Mac. She mentioned something about some programs she might be able to run it off of in parallels or something, but I don't know what all she's talking about.

At any rate, the 60csx is the second GPS we've owned and it's a great GPS. It works great for geocaching.

seven said:
I don't know if it will work with mac but I downloaded my topo from this site for free. however I do not know if your state is included yet. but it has a great utah topo and some other western states.

http://www.miscjunk.org/

Thanks Seven!! Do you know how to attach multiple maps, such as Wyoming and Utah at the same time?

I only played with it enough to download Utah about a month ago. It would seem though that you would only have to go through and add wyoming to you download list if I remember right. but like I said I did a little while ago and don't remember much.

I am in the market for a new GPS. I misplaced it during my move and Geocaching weather is prime right now. I am looking at a GPSMAP 60CSx, my two former units were e-trex Vista's.

Does the 60CSx have a place where a roof top antenna could be plugged into?

Back