• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D&C Extreme Cage Install

BTW that cage prolly wouldn't work for a 5 speed would it? doesn't look like there would be much space for the clutch pedal.

I had an older version of this cage in my 92 XJ with a 5spd and I was still able to use the clutch.

You should have room to operate the clutch. I personally don't trust a cage with steel plate as a down tube.

i always wondered if the plate was a weak point

I think steel plate in place of the A pillar down tube will be strong enough on a TJ were it can be bolted to the body. In a Cherokee there is no support and in a roll over the A pillars will collapse and the plate will bend possible hurting the passenger and driver.

A pillars always collapse on XJ's in a roll over
images

This is a bad idea
images

This looks like a better solution but I don't think it will give you more space
images

Amazing pics! I ran in to time issues on putting my XJ together (LOL) but I am hoping to do this this winter...

Are the points behind the rear seats something you added? I am going to go back and reread this thread so forgive me if you already said it. EDIT: NM it looks like you got the 8 point version, which I did not. Fortunately, D&C is fairly local to me so I may make the trek down to the Springs to get that part...

Again, great thread!

Yes I added the two down tubes and tube behind the rear seat. I did purchase the 8 point cage in DOM with the hoop behind the front seats shipped in one piece. I plan on adding a lot more to this cage just haven’t the time or money athe moment.

I should do an update it’s been a while. It’s summer time now and one thing I want to make sure is everyone is aware that the floor by the trans tunnel gets super hot. I am going to put carpet back in with thermal insulation the floor is so hot I can’t hold my finger on it longer than five seconds. The headline is done but I need to pull it back out because I didn’t use enough glue and it is sagging :::mad:
If you live we’re it gets hot make sure to wrap the tubing it gets really hot.

I just dealt with that on mine. I have no carpet or anything and the floor made the cab miserable in the summer. I ended up covering the tunnel with butyl sound deadening mats then closed cell insulation foam and last a big chunk of diamond plate rubber mat. It made a huge difference. The tunnel gets warm still but it's not the 160F skin melting metal anymore.

Yes I added the two down tubes and tube behind the rear seat. I did purchase the 8 point cage in DOM with the hoop behind the front seats shipped in one piece. I plan on adding a lot more to this cage just haven’t the time or money athe moment.

Thanks for the update(s)!

For the heat part, I've heard it's hot even with bedliner with no carpet. My plan is to rust proof (Top Secrete coatings) the floor, dynamat and an upgraded carpet kit. :D

Back