• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

improving throttle response

alek

NAXJA Forum User
i am trying to make my throttle body a little more responsive to my gas pedal. is there any way i could tighten or loosen either the hand throttle or the throttle cable to make for a less hesitant throttle body? i don't want to bore my TB, nor do i have a spacer. i just want to see if there's anything i can do with the cables.

thanks a lot.

lube em? they stickin? I wouldn't want to mess with the return spring

no, they're not sticking. i just wanted to see if it was possible to get a little extra kick out of my TB.

I know you don't want to bore your tb, but basically that's why there is a lip on the bottom of it, to slow the response.

Bore that lip out, and you make your engine much more zippy at low throttle settings.

Other than that there is nothing you can do to improve throttle response on the Jeep unless of course you re gear to 4.10s or something drastic like that.

I can understand not wanting to mess with a functional part (tb) but you ought to just buy one from a junkyard and bore that. If you don't like it you can always swap back to stock.

Spacers don't tend to do anything. I would do you j99xj said pick one up from a junker and bore that out.

I used a aluminum bit on a die grinder and radiused the bottom of my throttle body, then smoothed it with emery cloth and polished it with 600 grit. I did have a spare in case things didn't work out

cool guys - i'll look into buying one from a junkyard and boring that one. before i had put down any money, i wanted to see if there were any adjustments i could make to the cables on my own. thanks again.

You don't need a junk yard body. Just pull off the cables, unbolt the 3 sensors and remove the throttle plate and shaft. All simple but you need torx bit. Then get a drum sander,it goes on a drill or better yet a drill press. Carfully sand down the aluminum buldge that is below the throttle plate being carfull not to mess up the bore where the throttle plate closes. If you want you can clean up the bottom lip to match the intake and gasket and clean up just the top lip where the air enters. Clean it all up with carb cleaner and slap it back together. It's simple. I just did mine and was so happy I decided to give the jeep a bath. Thanks for talking me into doing this Led! Don't know why but it just runs all around better at every throttle position and engine speed maybe because I live at high altitude. What a great free mod!

Back