• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Steering Knuckle Question

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone knew if the steering knuckles from an 87 XJ HP D30 and the sterring knuckles from a 97 TJ LP will interchange. I recently swapped out my LPD30 for an 87 HPD30 with factory 4.56 gears and the brakes now suck. Brakes were great with the 97 tj axle under the front, but have absolutely dissappeared with this 87 d30. The caliper mounts on each axle are just different enough to not interchange, so the only thing i can think of is swapping the entire knuckle and maybe replacing ball joints while im at it. Lemmie know if the dimensions are the same and if ya know itll work. Id search but im too lazy at this point.

Mike

Thats what my problem is, i figured since the brakes were great before i didnt wanna polish a turd. When you say making sure the rotors and hubs match I assume your talking about between the two right? And im guessing they wont work if they dont match. One of the 87 rotors is worn badly so id prefer using the 97 hardware.

Mike

Backdraft said:
Thats what my problem is, i figured since the brakes were great before i didnt wanna polish a turd. When you say making sure the rotors and hubs match I assume your talking about between the two right? And im guessing they wont work if they dont match. One of the 87 rotors is worn badly so id prefer using the 97 hardware.

Mike

If you use the 97 rotors, you need the 97 hubs.

Ahhh, I see what you mean. Thanks Chuck

Mike

If you change years like that, you'll need to use everything from the knuckles out. The '88 calipers won't mount to a newer knuckle. Hubs, rotors, calipers, all will need to be swapped to change knuckles from those years.
HTH

Thanks Bill, thats my plan. I figure id just change everything except the axle shafts and center section on the 30. All the outer componets are going on the chopping block and getting ditched. Might as well do everything since im tearing it down that far anyway. The brakes on the 87 axle sucking so bad were the reason behind this in the first place. With the 97 brakes i could stop on a dime with 33s. I guess I would have been ok if a deer hadnt run out in front of me and clobbered my old axles LCA mount at 50mph. Too bad for the deer :D

Mike

Back