• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel injector question

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
I am in new territory here and have lots of questions.

1987 XJ 4.0L/AW4/231 215K miles. I have it apart to replace a cracked exhaust manifold, in retrospect should not have removed injectors or fuel rail. Ok here's the deal.

1. Can I purchase the 'O' rings for the injectors seperately? Both the manifold side and the fuel rail side.
2. Why the difference in the pintle? (see photos below) The injector on the right, which happens to be #2 has a different nozzle/pintle.
3. Where is the least expensive source for injectors? Kragens? Auto zone? I don't plan on keeping this one so going cheap.
4. Any mechanical tips?

DSCN4014.jpg

DSCN4013.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

Tom -
The O-rings are pretty standard, and should be available as a kit. Also, if you replace the injectors outright (sounds like you're waffling there, but you probably should...) they should come with new O-rings. TIP: if you're replacing the O-rings, soak them in gasoline before installation - makes them pliable, and helps them seal faster. I don't recall the part number, but the OEMR kit went for about $12-15, and has 13 O-rings in it (the odd one is for the fuel pressure regulator.) There are black and brown rings in the kit - the colour with the extra ring goes on top of the injector, with the odd one for the regulator.

OEM replacement injectors - even aftermarket - can hurt. I did the job before I knew what else would work on my 1987XJ, and paid $60 a pop for new injectors through Borg-Warner. Go to FiveOMotorsports (http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp) for better deals and a slight upgrade at a reduced price. You'll get a set of six with new O-rings. I've not dealt with them myself, but they've gotten consistently good reviews here and elsewhere.) You can also peruse eBay for pulls from SBFord or SBChevvy - both should work, provided they have the proper electrical connector. If you get eBay pulls, you probably won't get new O-rings, so get a set of those as well (if you do, the new set can go in your spares box anyhow - since I don't think they changed all the way up.)

I seem to recall something about a "pintle basket" that gets replaced during a recon - that may be the difference (one still has its, and the other has been lost in the Mists of Time...)

Mechanical tips? Soak the orings, as I mentioned before. A bit of oil or grease in the injector bore can also help (not too much - just enough so you don't scuff the o-ring going in.) A 16-gage shotgun brush works well to clean out the injector bores, as I recall - just be careful how much crap you break loose. Also, it's easier to handle everything if you put the injectors in the fuel rail, then install the rail as an assembly - rather than the other way about - I've found.

Beyond that, the job is fairly easy. You shouldn't have any trouble. The last time I did a full injector swap, it took about an hour (all up.)

N.B. If you've disconnected the fuel rail from the supply or return lines, replacing the QD kit is mandatory. I've not been informed of a suitable aftermarket replacement yet - I'm sure it's out there, I've just not found it. Price from OEMR is about $12-15 as well, at last check.

when i did my injectors i got them from autozone, they cost me $50 each. for the kit of (correct & both) "o" rings go to the dealer, cuz the stores dont carry them. the kit i got of o-rings only had the bottum ones in it, all 12 of them are the same ( the brown ones , no black ones). yes there is a differance in size in the two. it cost like $13 .

as Tom said it is kinda easy by installing them into the rail FIRST, then into the block as a whole set. (tip: if they dont go in at first, ease them in by wiggling them in. if they all fit but wont seat all the way, i used a small block of wood & a LIGHT tap on the wood to get them all seated correctly).
& yes use a light coat of oil on the rings before installing the injectors. other wise scuffing will lead to leaking. which is not a good thing.

yup if you happened to take off the whole rail, replace all the connectors for it as well. (i got lucky when i did that & didnt replace anything, so far it hasn't leaked on me yet... knock on wood)

:cheers: good luck playing with the gas lines!!! hope you at least are in a garage out of the weather!

I know napa carries the o-rings...if you know the part #. I don't recall the part number, maybe searching will help to find the #.

brand: GP Sorenson. part # 800-9220.

thats the o-ring kit they supplied me. but like i said, it only has the one color of rings. & i do not believe that they are the same size.

1.) Yeah as stated above your going to want to get an o-ring set as a kit and not individually. Make sure you replace them all.. that is of course unless you get new injectors, then they should come with o-rings. Unless you have a leak where the fuel rail meets the regulator, i wouldnt worry about this o-ring if you replace injectors. If you get a kit, it comes with it..then its a good idea to replace it once you have it all apart. You should just be able to ask for the kit at your local dealer and they should have it or be able to order it. Its cheap.

2.) The difference in the pintle is because you have two different injectors installed like you replaced one (or maybe more) with newer ones. The one on the left looks like OEM (or at least thats what mine looked like). I think its inconclusive weither or not mixing and matching is ok or not... one thing is definetly true however... the two piece design on the RENIX OEM injectors is crap design. I would replace them all as a set (and i did on mine).

3.) The best and least expensive place to get injectors for your Jeep is going to be ebay. Some people here hate ebay, but your going to find good prices there on injectors. Your going to look for a set of 8 injectors from a 5.0 mustang 19lb hour flow. They have a yellowish orange top on them, and they require no modifications to be installed... they go in just like OEM. I did this on mine and it has been fantastic.
Not only are they inexpensive, you get 2 extra which is cool... you get injectors that have a four hole spray pattern (for better automization) instead of your OEM one holers.. and lastly you benefit from not getting injectors that are a two peice design that are destined to leak. The only drawback?? Its that they are not new... only cleaned and flow tested. Still though for the price its a no brainer...
I just did a search for you and i found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-mustang-19lb-chevy-gm-bmw-fuel-injectors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQihZ008QQitemZ180211323920QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I bought from this same seller but for a buy it now of 90 bucks instead of what he has now @ 130. They were exactly as described and work fantastic. I did have a problem with this seller though. He took his sweet ass time to send them to me. Once he finally boxed them up and shipped them, i got them in about 4 days.

They are the best ones i just found doing a quick search. If anything use them as a reference to find yourself a set. Id recommend getting the ones i got from the guy above except it may take you awhile to get them.

4.) Mechanical tips besides whats already been posted (5-90 always has great info).. is to check the o-rings in the supply and return line carefully. (Since you already disconnected them). The FSM and other manuals actually to say to replace them as another "quick disconnect" set. I would say as long as you have all the parts you should be fine if they are in good shape. Ive had mine apart a few times, and i only just recently had to replace the o-rings for the supply line. I believe the order of parts is:
connector---oring---plastic spacer---oring. Im sure someone can supply a pic.
Anyway just make sure you have those parts and make sure they are in good shape and you should be good to go.
(DOPE i just noticed 5-90 did cover this also.. my bad)

Hope all that helps.

Last edited:
OK here's an update and some info.

The Fuel Injector "O" ring kit lists at $6.85 at a parts house. It is "Standard" brand, the "O" rings are all the same brown/rust color, but there are 13 of them. Felpro metal reinforced fibre gasket lists at $39.51 (a little steep) and the Felpro exhaust pipe flange gasket lists at $25.93 (also steep)

The QD connectors list at $17.90 each at the dealer.

I pay jobber rates, not list, so the cost was like $80 for both places, which is more than I paid for the Jeep.

The manifold is off, the parts cleaned, other life projects took their toll on the day. I made more work & cost for myself pulling the injectors from the manifold, but live and learn. Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Note to Jon; the manifold I picked up from you had two small cracks so I ordered a cheap one from DirectAuto.com. There was a screw up on the order, but after two e-mails and a phonecall they got their act together and got me the part. I am neutral on their customer service, there is always enough time and care to do the job a second time.

Tom

Boatwrench said:
OK here's an update and some info.

The Fuel Injector "O" ring kit lists at $6.85 at a parts house. It is "Standard" brand, the "O" rings are all the same brown/rust color, but there are 13 of them. Felpro metal reinforced fibre gasket lists at $39.51 (a little steep) and the Felpro exhaust pipe flange gasket lists at $25.93 (also steep)

The QD connectors list at $17.90 each at the dealer.

I pay jobber rates, not list, so the cost was like $80 for both places, which is more than I paid for the Jeep.

The manifold is off, the parts cleaned, other life projects took their toll on the day. I made more work & cost for myself pulling the injectors from the manifold, but live and learn. Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Note to Jon; the manifold I picked up from you had two small cracks so I ordered a cheap one from DirectAuto.com. There was a screw up on the order, but after two e-mails and a phonecall they got their act together and got me the part. I am neutral on their customer service, there is always enough time and care to do the job a second time.

Tom

Bummer. Sorry about that - I didn't pull that one myself, I got it with an engine and transmission (out of Livermore) that was already pulled and no problems were noted, so I just did a cursory inspection. I hadn't gotten around to pulling the 1990 apart yet, so that was the only one I had. Damn.

I'd like to get the part number and MFR for that O-ring kit when you have a chance, tho - I can list it with the other aftermarket parts once I get around to coding that page...

(Ain't it nice paying jobber? :D)

5-90, scrool up. i did post the part number of the o-ring kit. not sure what brand the dealer or napa carries, but that's the part number ( i still have the box infront of me) on the kit i got from autozone.

GP Sorensen #800-9220. and yes they are all the rust-brown color... all 12 of them.

IIRC I got the GP Sorensen #800-9220 at Autozone, all the same brown color and they worked fine, no leaks.

cracked-butt said:
5-90, scrool up. i did post the part number of the o-ring kit. not sure what brand the dealer or napa carries, but that's the part number ( i still have the box infront of me) on the kit i got from autozone.

GP Sorensen #800-9220. and yes they are all the rust-brown color... all 12 of them.

Duh. Must have missed that - thanks!

3.) The best and least expensive place to get injectors for your Jeep is going to be ebay. Some people here hate ebay, but your going to find good prices there on injectors. Your going to look for a set of 8 injectors from a 5.0 mustang 19lb hour flow. They have a yellowish orange top on them, and they require no modifications to be installed... they go in just like OEM. I did this on mine and it has been fantastic.
Not only are they inexpensive, you get 2 extra which is cool... you get injectors that have a four hole spray pattern (for better automization) instead of your OEM one holers.. and lastly you benefit from not getting injectors that are a two peice design that are destined to leak. The only drawback?? Its that they are not new... only cleaned and flow tested. Still though for the price its a no brainer...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-mustang-19lb-chevy-gm-bmw-fuel-injectors_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQihZ008QQitemZ180211323920QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I bought from this same seller but for a buy it now of 90 bucks instead of what he has now @ 130. They were exactly as described and work fantastic. I did have a problem with this seller though. He took his sweet ass time to send them to me. Once he finally boxed them up and shipped them, i got them in about 4 days.

I also ordered these injectors from this guy and I hope that I am as lucky as you with the injectors working great. But I won the auction and paid for the injectors about five weeks ago and I still have not received my injectors. I have contacted the seller several times and got vague answers until finally he sent me a confirmation number a couple of days ago, so I hope that means they shipped. Anyway, I just wanted to worn people about this seller and if you need your injectors in a timely manner to look else where. My daily driver is laid up in the garage because my #1 injector leaks so bad I can smell it inside the cab and I am sitting around waiting for five weeks for this guy to send them to me!!

XJeremy23 said:
Muad'Dib said:

I also ordered these injectors from this guy and I hope that I am as lucky as you with the injectors working great. But I won the auction and paid for the injectors about five weeks ago and I still have not received my injectors. I have contacted the seller several times and got vague answers until finally he sent me a confirmation number a couple of days ago, so I hope that means they shipped. Anyway, I just wanted to worn people about this seller and if you need your injectors in a timely manner to look else where. My daily driver is laid up in the garage because my #1 injector leaks so bad I can smell it inside the cab and I am sitting around waiting for five weeks for this guy to send them to me!!

I warned you! That's about how long he took to finally send them to me also. Once i got a ship confirmation (it seems you just did), i got them in about 4 days. They will work great, I'm fairly certain about that... just take FOREVER to get them.
I think he waits till the auction is won, then find injectors to rebuild, and starts the process. Cleans them, checks impedance, flow tests, paints etc.. then ships them off. Horrible practice IMO... but i could be wrong!

Finally got my injectors from ebay (supposedly they were lost in the mail and he had to resend them) and changed them today. Took a couple of hours but went off without a hitch, no leaks, runs like a dream. Now I won't smell like I work at a gas station every where I go...yeeeehaaaawww. I think that was the cure for my 'smoke coming out of the steering column' thread a while back. Fuel being dumped from the #2 injector onto the manifold and smoking like a bastard and being sucked up the steering column.
On to the next project.....

Finally got my injectors from ebay (supposedly they were lost in the mail and he had to resend them) and changed them today. Took a couple of hours but went off without a hitch, no leaks, runs like a dream. Now I won't smell like I work at a gas station every where I go...yeeeehaaaawww. I think that was the cure for my 'smoke coming out of the steering column' thread a while back. Fuel being dumped from the #2 injector onto the manifold and smoking like a bastard and being sucked up the steering column.
On to the next project.....

WOW!

Lucky for you , you didnt end up with a engine fire!!

Glad everything finally worked out ok.

Back