• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T&T frame stiffeners.

cherowagon

NAXJA Forum User
i searched and found info on the product, but does anyone have any idea how thick the metal is? is it 3/16"? 1/4"?

is there a better option? would i be better off jsut welding in some 1/4" angle iron?

cherowagon said:
thanks man. so this is a good product then? or is there a better choice?

I have never heard a negative comment about any of TNT's product. If that makes you feel better. I only have thier radius arm setup. If thier frame stiffeners are of the same quality you won't be displeased.

TnT frame stiffeners are a big waste of time. Just do it yourself. I ordered some about three months ago and they never shipped them to me. Go to the metal yard and get your own metal and make them yourself.

muddshutter said:
TnT frame stiffeners are a big waste of time. Just do it yourself. I ordered some about three months ago and they never shipped them to me. Go to the metal yard and get your own metal and make them yourself.

Since you can't vouch for the quality of the product STFU! I have a hard time believing that the guys at TNT decided to just not send them. You know you have to pay first right?:looser:

cherowagon said:
thanks man. so this is a good product then? or is there a better choice?

Yes it's a good product, IMO. For more choices I can't help you. Sorry.

IMO, the stifferners do little to stiffen things by themselves, so don't expect to much. I installed their belly pan, after that I could tell a big differnce in body stiffeness. I'm think once the sliders are on that will increase stiffeness as well.

The main reason I used TNT stiffeners was....
1) solid foundation for other mods, like LA's, sliders, belly pan, etc.
2) get some real metal under there to protect the uni body frame rails.
3) finally, to stiffen the chassis.

luvme88xj said:
currie also makes a product that uses the control arm mounts and front leaf mount. any one use them?

I've seen them on rigs and you may have issues with control arm drop brackets and rock rails.

IMO the Detours frame stiffeners/rock sliders are the best bet on the market. Great product that does the same as the T&J's/Currie unit, but allows drop brackets and builds in sliders. They work better than expected, I tried them out when I nosed my jeep and they saved the frame from buckling (it tried to buckle on the inside but the stiffeners wouldn't allow it to happen).

Great product and good cat to work with.

As for Bob at TnT not shipping a product, I highly doubt that. I've worked with him on some custom stuff and he does a great job and works quick.

gcurtis said:
As for Bob at TnT not shipping a product, I highly doubt that. I've worked with him on some custom stuff and he does a great job and works quick.

What he said. Took us longer to nail down exactly what I needed then for him to actually build it. Showed up in the mail 3 days after I paid and it had to be built, as it was a one off.

so detours is a better product then? i will need rails to, so maybe this is a better option? how about just welding in some 1/4" angle of my own. is it hard to do?

You can order TNT stuff from Jeepinoutfitters now also.

I have yet to see any other product that does what the unibody stifners do and at the same time are so perfect fitting that you dont even know there there as well as protect the under side of the frame rail. I dont believe the detours wrap around the bottom, I never seen them in person so I dont know for a fact, but dont believe they do?

As for just doing 1/4" angle sure. Or people have said they used 4x4 rec tube cut in 1/2 and sleeved the rails. Only differnece is that the TnT stuff actually is pre bent to contour the uni rails to the exact bends. Both where the rail pitches up and where the bevel is in the outer edge. That I believe (and from a engineering stand point) has to create a Much tighter fit making the structural stiffening/strength much better then a design that is just a L or I_I shape. And alot stronger then welding 3-5 individual locations to the semi-sheet metal rails. IMO..

It all depends on your fab skills and time you have to do it. My TNTs are good, but nothing that I couldn't have made for much less. But time is money, and at the time I got those, I had more money and less time (usally it's the other way agound for me, or not enough of either) If I had it to do over again, I'd build my own, but it sure was nice to have something that went on right the first time without a lot of cutting, bending and test fitting.

DAryl

JEONLYEP said:
It all depends on your fab skills and time you have to do it. My TNTs are good, but nothing that I couldn't have made for much less. But time is money, and at the time I got those, I had more money and less time (usally it's the other way agound for me, or not enough of either) If I had it to do over again, I'd build my own, but it sure was nice to have something that went on right the first time without a lot of cutting, bending and test fitting.

DAryl
so what do you think of them. noticable difference? are they worth it?

how would you build your own instead of doing this?

cherowagon said:
so what do you think of them. noticable difference? are they worth it?

how would you build your own instead of doing this?
Definate difference, it's a mod worth doing.

Doing my own, I'd have two choices. 3x3 angle and some cutting and welding. There has to be a write up available some where.

Or the local tech school offers a night welding class, which most of us around here use as a way to access to the tools that the normal person can't afford. Here's is $145 for 6pm to 9pm two nights a week for 8 weeks. Plasma cutter, plate bender, tubing bender and much more. Plus a pro welder for anything that your not sure you want to handle on your own.

The TNT will look better than a home made angle piece, but who sees the bottom of the rig anyway?

DAryl

91 Jeep Project said:
If you need rails too, then Detours is the way to go.

I have the detours rails and love them. If you plan on going to a LA setup make sure you tell Mike when you order them. He has a little different setup to allow for the long arms.

If you order a TnT kit make sure to tell Bob about the detours. He will make sure your kit is set up to work with your rails.

Aaron

Back