• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 4.56 brand of gears = howling

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
hey all i need some wisdom,

Ive asked a shop about installing the gears that i have, Usa standards, in which they said in the C8.25 often howl, and recommended G2, randys, or yukon gears.

Is there any truth to this or are the full of it because they dont sell the brand?

i dont want to burn gears up here

I have a set of Yukons in my 8 1/4. 4.10s. I bought the higher cost gears. Mine do have a little bit of gear noise at certain rpms. What's interesting is when I ordered my gears from Randys ring and pinion the sales agent stated that they have 2 different choices. 1 more OEM quality and the 2nd being lesser quality. He also stated that both set would have some noise being an aftermarket performance gear. The higher quality OEM spec gear would be less noisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called the supplier who insists these any many other gears are the same with different names on the box.
Perhaps it's a bunk shop, dunno but it's a large amount of dough that they are missing out on now.

Let us be honest about this situation as a whole. I DO NOT know this for sure, but I would put a small wager on the possibility that USA Standard Gears are built by Randy's, YUKON, or some other well known company. I would also say that they don't meet the standard (see what I did there) to be the top shelf stuff that sells for a lot more money, but are still well within useable specs and can thus be sold at a cheaper price as opposed to scrapping them all together at a loss.

So, I would say find another shop to install that really does a good job, and go for it, If you bought them new, they should have a warranty on them and you could get reimbursed for the install costs if there were to be an issue. Look them over and see if you find any anomalies which would make you reconsider. Good luck.

The ranges for acceptable on backlash, pinion preload and the resultant pattern on the gears are incredibly small. Also, were they broken in properly? If you don't have that info and can't prove they were installed properly, good luck trying to get a warranty replacement. The cheaper gears like USA Standard are known to make a little noise but I would bet on something else if they are howling.

to clarify i havent installed yet, this particular shop just swears this brand in my axle makes noise. sounds like crap to me, based on all the other things im reading. setup and maybe mild noise, however DOES it go away once they were in and what are the break in points/ or will the shop give me this, when to change new gear oil.

Gear whine does not go away by itself. You should follow the instructions provided by your gear supplier/installer. They typically read something like this:

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ft-1479-new-gear-break-in-procedure.html

It sounds like you purchased the gears without first finding an installer who will install them. Lesson learned.

Typically its better to find the installer first. Typically there is "no warranty" on customer supplied parts so any problems get into a 3 way head banging between the installer, the gear supplier, and yourself. It's typically easier not to do things this way.

Last edited:
They are all the same, just different boxes. Setup is the key with any set of gears.

This. within reason.
There are a few different manufactures. but 90% of all aftermarket gears for axles under a Jeep are manufactured by ONE factory overseas, and then boxed in to a box that has the name you're paying for. The gears in the USA Standard box are commonly known to be of the Higher quality aftermarket manufacture. At least commonly known to those that are actually in the business and not just a quack installer.

But he says the most truth when he says...
Setup is the key with any set of gears.

Back