• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble. track bar bolt broken ?

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
So. I have been getting some death wobble this last month.
I go to check the bolts this morning.
And to my disgust the track bar bolt felt loose. (not turnable by hand. but with a wrench it turns)
So off to tightening I go. And the situation got worse.
the bolt on the back side is just spinning.
I have the whole day off tomorrow to really look at it.
but what are my options here.
I cannot see a way to get a wrench in there to grab it. ideas ?
Honestly I only took a quick look so far but it appeared to be boxed in pretty good.

I found this. And I am assuming it is made for this purpose.
https://www.claytonoffroad.com/tjljxjzj_hd_track_bar_bolt_kit

but any input or ideas would be great.
I read some things on people bending and cutting the area. but no videos or direct how to's

You may have to get a little creative getting that broken stuff outta there, and you can replace it with something bigger/stronger, and use Loctite to prevent the stuff coming loose again. Hopefully the bracket isnt ratted out too much. Keep in mind though, that rarely is the track bar the only issue causing the wobble. There are usually other issues involved. Look around carefully, rotate the steering, move the suspension parts,get the front wheels off the ground and start wrenching on things. Get a reputable shop involved to help if necessary. Check all bushings, and the main balljoints.

You may have to get a little creative getting that broken stuff outta there, and you can replace it with something bigger/stronger, and use Loctite to prevent the stuff coming loose again. Hopefully the bracket isnt ratted out too much. Keep in mind though, that rarely is the track bar the only issue causing the wobble. There are usually other issues involved. Look around carefully, rotate the steering, move the suspension parts,get the front wheels off the ground and start wrenching on things. Get a reputable shop involved to help if necessary. Check all bushings, and the main balljoints.

Oh I am aware my upper control arm bushing are shot. that is the main reason for this.
I just cannot get the bolts off and I am waiting til next month to buy a sawzaw to cut them off.

I can't help with the question of getting the old hardware out, but this might provide some useful information with regard to upgrading your hardware:

www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1137975

Obviously, which track bar you are running makes a difference, and if you change the bolt diameter you need to also change the ID of the bushing. That Clayton bolt kit looks to be very similar to the Kevin's OffRoad unit.

Just food for thought.

So. here is the current plan.
I have managed to get the bolt started using a flat head. an impact. and some anger
I am going to get kevins kit.
I will try to make a guide on this since it is hard to find good info.

Oh. I just found out I work 4 miles from kevins actual store.
Thats awesome. Time to go shopping.

Last edited:
Back