• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Seal?? Wheel Seal??

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well was taking everything apart today to redo my drums and replace the old wheel cylinders. Noticed that the passengers side rear shock mount was wet with oil and a small stain on the ground directly below it. I checked the axle tubes for a trail, but couldnt find anything. what exactly is leaking here? i know that my wheel seal on the drivers side is leaking but the passengers side drum is clean and dry.

Cherokeekid88 said:
Well was taking everything apart today to redo my drums and replace the old wheel cylinders. Noticed that the passengers side rear shock mount was wet with oil and a small stain on the ground directly below it. I checked the axle tubes for a trail, but couldnt find anything. what exactly is leaking here? i know that my wheel seal on the drivers side is leaking but the passengers side drum is clean and dry.
did you try to follow the fluid from the mount back? You might be leaking from pinion seals and it just travels down the pumpkin and the tube, you might be leaking from where the tube goes into the pumkpin, you might be leaking out of rear main and that's just the remainder of what floats back as you're driving...... Oh yeah, your shock could also be leaking.

i havent really checked it out really good. If your laying underneath the jeep at the back and looking to the right at the shock mount on the inside. there is a stain about the size of a 50 cent piece. nothing above it, nothing below it.

Last edited:
Cherokeekid88 said:
i havent really checked it out really good. If your laying underneath the jeep at the back and looking to the right at the shock mount on the inside. there is a stain about the size of a 50 cent piece. nothing above it, nothing below it.
somethign splashed from the road?

Back