• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trimming my tail pipe

Blkxjkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of cutting my tailpipe off so that the exhaust exits straight down just after the bend over the axle, (tailpipe currently bouncing between gas tank skid, and leaf spring). I usually wheel with my young son in the back seat and am a little worried about exhaust fumes entering the cabin when stopped on trails or even at stoplights around town. Anyone else running exhaust similar to this? Any problems, regrets?

ya have the same problem, i droped the hanger down and tied the rubber part of the hanger to the leafsping. no more clanking.

jeepdude10000 said:
ya have the same problem, i droped the hanger down and tied the rubber part of the hanger to the leafsping. no more clanking.
Nice! :thumbup:

I have mine turn down right before the axle maybe 6-7 inches after the muffler...and I have a dual exhaust. I have no issues with fumes so long as the hatch is closed..

Just with a turn down you have to be careful what is underneath where the exhaust comes out if it is turn down. Dry grass and such.

I have mine cut right at the last hanger which is right next to the shackle. I did this when I changed to the Durango rear bumer and it left my pipe just kind of out in the open lol. Just that small change made a BIG difference in how loud it is inside the cab though. My jeep is pretty Fn loud though.

BlueCuda said:
I have mine cut right at the last hanger which is right next to the shackle. I did this when I changed to the Durango rear bumer and it left my pipe just kind of out in the open lol. Just that small change made a BIG difference in how loud it is inside the cab though. My jeep is pretty Fn loud though.

I have mine trimmed the same way and I have a problem with fumes....I guess every jeep is different...As a matter of fact earlier today the g.f was complaining of getting a headache everytime she rides in the war wagon..

I was about to trim my tailpipe in class at Universal Technical Institue when my instructor told me not too because the gases and condesation from the exhaust building up under the floorpan will soon rust out the floor pan and you'll have a nice rust hole. I wouldn't suggest cutting it and leaving it exit underneath your heep.

schmels3 said:
I was about to trim my tailpipe in class at Universal Technical Institue when my instructor told me not too because the gases and condesation from the exhaust building up under the floorpan will soon rust out the floor pan and you'll have a nice rust hole. I wouldn't suggest cutting it and leaving it exit underneath your heep.
I have had mine this way for 3 years. Turn down about 5" after the muffler. No problems with rust in "that" area. JIM.

TomH said:
I cut mine right after the muffler. I haven't noticed any fumes or adverse effects. It does sound different.
Mine was set-up this way... then I did some long-slow climbs on a hot day. The exhaust hitting the gas tank heated it up enough to cause some MAJOR expansion in the tank. On a steep incline, gas was being blown past the cap seal and when I got it leveled out and the gas in the filler tube drained back into the tank, I loosened the cap a little bit and it hissed at me for about five seconds
:passgas: .
Needless to say, before I took it out again, I had the pipe run back out to the stock location. I can deal with a little rubbing on the tank skid and springs as long as my gas isn't simmering.

I think I'm probably going to do it, I'm not real worried about the corrosion factor. it is true, exhaust gasses can form corrosive condensation on body panels (Ford has a recall on the new f150's for just that concern). The under side of my jeep is undercoated, and living in the pacific northwest where it rains 9 months out of the year the undersides of our vehicle generally get a good washing
Thanks for everyones input
Ryan

I was considering bolting my tailpipe TO the gas tank skid plate. I cut it off before the shackle, and it keeps ripping out the last hanger when i get yanked backwards out of the mud, so I figure it'll at least be solid.

I am worried about resonating vibrations though.
Has anyone else done this?

meatplow5150 said:
Mine was set-up this way... then I did some long-slow climbs on a hot day. The exhaust hitting the gas tank heated it up enough to cause some MAJOR expansion in the tank. On a steep incline, gas was being blown past the cap seal and when I got it leveled out and the gas in the filler tube drained back into the tank, I loosened the cap a little bit and it hissed at me for about five seconds
:passgas: .
Needless to say, before I took it out again, I had the pipe run back out to the stock location. I can deal with a little rubbing on the tank skid and springs as long as my gas isn't simmering.

X2

I think mine may have been boiling. Fuel was spewing out of my tank!

This rocks....

is.php

You guys in the Midwest Chapter are crazy smart. I've never thought to use what looks to be a hunk of wood (Louisville Slugger?) to fix a busted driveshaft on the trail. :viking:

Back