• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS confusion

88justin

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of trying to fix my erratic/high idle i found some strange things.

i have an 88 pioneer 6cyl, peugeot.....and when i went to replace the TPS, i found out that there are two different types available. one if u have the 5-speed and one if you have the automatic. the strange thing is, i have a 5-speed and my TPS is the automatic version. It tests fine, but its the wrong one.
Now correct me if im misinformed ,the TPS that i have has two connectors and is the same one that automatic XJs of that vintage have.

I guess im trying to figure out what one to replace it with. if i use the manual TPS, i have to leave one connector on the harness unplugged. would the jeep run?
or should i replace it with another automatic version even though i have the manual tranny.

It is possible, and im hoping not true, that the previous owner did an auto-manual swap, but i dont see an other evidence of that.

im stumped...

Thanks

That certainly is strange, but you can probably find out the options easily by unplugging the automatic (square) plug from your current TPS, and seeing how it runs then. If it doesn't change anything, you can assume that it was an auto/manual swap or that an auto harness was swapped in, and you can use the manual TPS. If it doesn't run right, then you'll need the auto one even if the reason remains obscure.

Not strange at all -- the RenixII does NOT controll the tranny, since the AW4 is electronic, a Tranny Control Unit was used -- the Dual output TPS is used for that application -- Since the dual output TPS has BOTH a TCU and an ECU output many MANY of them have been installed on manual tranny vehicle (pricing on the manual TPS is often-times higher and availability is lower)

The OEM configuration for the manual tranny is to leave the Square TCU harness in the engine bay (intake area) disconnected - it's disconnected at the other end (no TCU) so what's it matter -- it'll run fine

Back