• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent loss of gauges

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I am intermittently losing my gauges. Sometime it is just speedo and tach and other times it is everything. I figure it has to be a bad connection somewhere. Where do I need to check first so I don't pull my whole dash out looking for it?

Oh sounds all so familiar. I had the same issue and was beaying my dash ever other mile or after anyhard bumps. Got really tired og that so off came the dash. Which really wasnt difficult only took maybe 15 minutes to tear down. I them took off the guage cluster and pit eletrical greas, very important to use electrical grease, and carefilly put a small dab over each pin and being careful not to have any touching the other pins. Put the dash all back in whivh took about 20 minutes. And wolaaaa guages that no longer ha e a mind of there own.

Yup. Same problem with my 99. Typically only happens after some sort of moisture outside.
I just push on the cluster where the airbag light is.

Smack the top of the dash real hard, they'll come right back.

It's a loose connection at the backend of the instrument cluster.

This^^^^^

Only I wouldn't smack it "real" hard... Just enough to get the gauges working again..... That is until you take the time to tear the dash apart and do it right.

I fixed mine over 3 years ago and hasn't done it since......

Guess I need to search for write ups on cluster removal.

Oh sounds all so familiar. I had the same issue and was beaying my dash ever other mile or after anyhard bumps. Got really tired og that so off came the dash. Which really wasnt difficult only took maybe 15 minutes to tear down. I them took off the guage cluster and pit eletrical greas, very important to use electrical grease, and carefilly put a small dab over each pin and being careful not to have any touching the other pins. Put the dash all back in whivh took about 20 minutes. And wolaaaa guages that no longer ha e a mind of there own.

So that's it? Dielectric grease and it's fixed? That'd be nice. I've swapped out my cluster a opulent of times thinking it was in there not the wiring.

Anyone know what the TSB said?

TSB says clean and inspect connector and socket for corrosion, lubricate with dielectric grease, and put it back together. also make sure there is enough slack on the wires to the connector that it is not pulled while putting the cluster back in. if it pull out while you're trying to maneuver the cluster back in to place you're going to have the same problem again.

Dielectric grease is NON conductive, it just keeps corrosion from forming. don't worry about it touching more than one terminal at a time. the factory just blobs a thin bead all along the connections when the vehicle is put together in the factory.

^^What he said... Its been a while since I looked into this problem but there was a new connector that Chrysler/Jeep is selling to replace the original one.
Google was my friend a couple years ago...

Back