• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauges work Intermittent

Not sure how much the wiring has changed between '86 and '98, but since the gauges work occasionally; I would check for loose or dirty ground wires/connections such as the ones attached to engine block, fenderwell and firewall.

The most common gauge problem on Renix is the connector right at the cluster. You need to pull the cluster and take an eraser and burnish the copper connector portion of the flex circuit.

The most common gauge problem on Renix is the connector right at the cluster. You need to pull the cluster and take an eraser and burnish the copper connector portion of the flex circuit.

I have the same problem with the gauge cluster I swapped into the 89 (swapped for one with a tachometer). I did the eraser trick first, as it needed it, but the gauges work one day and not the next, totally unpredictable. Works about 70% of the time. The fuel gauge and oil pressure always work, but the Tach and Temp sensor come and go as they please, making it even more puzzling.

Well I drove it back home. Now I have more gremlins showing up. My temp and fuel work but no oil pressure and volt meter. Does any one know where the two green wires go on the starter relay? I just noticed they are unpluged and no voltage there either.

Well I drove it back home. Now I have more gremlins showing up. My temp and fuel work but no oil pressure and volt meter. Does any one know where the two green wires go on the starter relay? I just noticed they are unpluged and no voltage there either.

Oil pressure and volt meter depend on grounds, maybe near the gauge cluster, or the battery to jeep ground?

More gremlins? Where?

Well I have two wires that suppose to go to the start relay and they are not connected. Both are green and on the bottom. And the other I gotta check during day light it was smoking under the hood when I parked and over heating to the red line on the temp gauge.

Gremlins tend to multiply exponentially at the least inopportune times!

Back