• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shims?

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok, I poked around on here for a few looking for an answer, but came up with nothing. My delema is I have suposed to be 3 inches now(sagging to about 2 inches I'm guessing). With a 1 3/4 spacer shackle kit, and H&T with C/V drive shaft to go on. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what degree of shim to even start with. I wanted to get this together soon so my plan was to try to get an idea then buy several sizes up-down from the target hopefully hitting the mark.

scoobyxj said:
Ok, I poked around on here for a few looking for an answer, but came up with nothing. My delema is I have suposed to be 3 inches now(sagging to about 2 inches I'm guessing). With a 1 3/4 spacer shackle kit, and H&T with C/V drive shaft to go on. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what degree of shim to even start with. I wanted to get this together soon so my plan was to try to get an idea then buy several sizes up-down from the target hopefully hitting the mark.
What year, what end?

with a sye and CV shaft - and not a lot of lift - you may not need shims at all... mine didn't (at about 4" of lift or so on a '99), but your results may vary.

Well, I aready have one of those, but it dosen't help me any sence I don't have access to another vehicle to get me around while the xj sets waiting on parts. That and the fact I'll have to install it all at my dads three hours away from home.
I was kind of thinking 4-6* thick end to the back with the shackle lift in the rear.

if i were you i would put on the sye and then measure. with that small a lift your not going to be breaking u-joints if you don't shim it right away. maby some vibes but it will be something you can live with untill you measure and order the new shims.

bj-666 said:
if i were you i would put on the sye and then measure. with that small a lift your not going to be breaking u-joints if you don't shim it right away. maby some vibes but it will be something you can live with untill you measure and order the new shims.

4 3/4 inches with it all on. I'm thinking of maby throwing on the shackles to try for a mesurement then pulling them back off till the shims come.

scoobyxj said:
Well, I aready have one of those, but it dosen't help me any sence I don't have access to another vehicle to get me around while the xj sets waiting on parts. That and the fact I'll have to install it all at my dads three hours away from home.
I was kind of thinking 4-6* thick end to the back with the shackle lift in the rear.
I've not seen shims like that, to do that you would need a 3" spacer and a 6.deg shim.
A 6deg shim is only about 1/16" at one end and 3/4" at the other and will turn your yoke up about 3".

Back