• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ power steering pump upgrade vs PSC pump upgrade

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
01-04 V8 WJs use a hydraulic cooling fan run off the p/s pump, and thus use a higher output pump. It's a direct bolt in upgrade, only modification is the high pressure output fitting would need to be swapped from the XJ pump to fit the smaller stock pressure line, I also bored out the XJ fitting to the same size as the WJ fitting, that makes a big difference.
Here is what it took to fit the WJ pump with reservoir:
The WJ reservoir is a little bigger than the XJ, requiring a need to tweak the pressure line where it wraps around.
image_zps44e7e7ee.jpg

I installed the pump without the reservoir, plugged in the pressure line, and pushed it about 1/2" tword the engine. Be gentle with it, too much and you can kink the line.
image_zps4da54f12.jpg

There is also a second return line in the reservoir for the hydraulic fan than needs to be plugged.

Here is the difference between the XJ and WJ high pressure fitting, and how I bored it out.
007049a5-a4a7-4fdf-bae4-8cca2c61e8d6_zpse523ea0c.jpg

XJ on bottom
image_zpscda14648.jpg

I realized that the smaller port would restrict flow, so I drilled it out. Oddly enough the XJ fitting fits perfectly into the WJ one, marketing the WJ fitting work almost perfectly as a guide for you when you drill it out.
image_zpse5cb1e3b.jpg

image_zps2fa2e22b.jpg

It's not presicion by any means, but it works pretty well.
image_zps431c21f3.jpg

Ultimately I am very impressed with the potential of the WJ pump, if you can get a good one. I would attempt a junk yard one or two before getting a reman one, I'd even attempt rebuilding one. I would be really interested to see how one would do on something like a 37" tire, especially in conjunction with an under drive pulley, and Durango box.

In the end I ended up having problems with the A1 Cardone pumps, I'm not positive of the exact problem. The first pump I left the high pressure fitting alone, not noticing the difference in size. It worked well, but was noisy above about 2500 rpm so I warrantied it out for a different one.

The second pump was when I bored out the high pressure port, even replaced the lines and added a cooler and filled it with Royal Purple. Immediately it was loud, louder than the first pump, even at idle. The next morning, with about 10 miles on it, I tried to get it to quiet down, and was able to get a lot of air out of the lines, but it was still loud. That's when I saw it fluid, it was very sparkly, full of metallic flake. I pumped 2 gallons of fresh new fluid through the system to try and clean it out, but it was still noisy.

So I bought a new PSC pump.
image_zps09069606.jpg

Installed an inline magnetic filter, new pulley, new reservoir, more Royal Purple, and thoroughly primed the pump with Lucas power steering treatment.

PSC pump works great, nice and quiet like it should be.

I like the PSC pump a bit better, the WJ pump felt too light and a little twitchy with stock tires. I think the WJ pump is just too much for stock tires. I got a chance do do a little mild trail riding with the last version of the WJ pump, and steering it offroad was light and easy, it'd definitely be a great upgrade for larger tires.

Now for a back to back comparison WJ vs. PSC....... There is a noticeable difference. I am going to say it, the WJ pump, after I bored out the XJ high pressure fitting to match the WJ, seems to be a lot more powerful. The PSC pump is comparable to the WJ pump before I bored out the XJ fitting. I will be revisiting the WJ pump mod again on my MJ.

Things I have learned about the WJ pump that may have made a difference in performance. I read that the WJ pump can be noisy if you use the smaller of the two return fittings on the reservoir, which I did. I would also use larger lines, both pressure, and return, and a bigger gear box, something to relieve/use up some of the extra pressure. I'm not convinced that the larger diameter high pressure port and the second pump being noisier is a coincidence, but then again I didn't have the metal in the fluid of the first pump either.

Thanks for the info, I have heard a little about this but havnt seen it done yet. I am planning on the same thing but using a 1.5x6 ram for hydro assist as well:)

I might just have to post it up once I get it done.

I am running a V8 WJ pump on my 99 with 33x10.50 KM2s. It made a noticeable difference, its MUCH easier to turn on the trails.

i really like this idea. Thanks for the information.

I have the psc pump and aluminum res and it works so much better than stock
XJ pump. I have run the Rubicon twice and so glad I spent the money.
Turns like a dream in all situations.

I think the obvious answer here is to use the wj pump, bore the fitting and run a hydro boost from an astro van, using both returns on the pump.

So will this work on a renix? anyone know? My 3 year old napa reman took a dump, stuck on the side of the road a few weeks ago I was stuck going with a autozone reman one just to get it running.

I have a question? What years of the WJ bolt right up to a 96 XJ? The last link above showed some modifications to the braketry. My kids, XJs powersteering pump is spewing all over the place and the pulley look like its about to fall off?

The link is for a 91-95 I believe, they use a different style mounting for the p/s pump than the 96+

Bump. Does anyone know if this will work on a renix? I have an 88 and a 93 Id like to do this to.

I'm about to install a WJ power steering pump for my XJ with YJ box and ram assist. I will be drilling the same way as above. I don't have time to track a pump down so I guess I'll have to go buy one from the parts store

MasterPro - Part # 20-62608 2002 V8 4.7 Grand Cherokee pump with reservoir / lifetime
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPP0/2062608/02869.oap?year=2002&make=Jeep&model=Grand%2BCherokee&vi=1386794&ck=Search_steering+pump_02869_1386794_3219&keyword=steering+pump&pt=02869&ppt=C0031

any objections? besides the obvious "don't buy reman"

Ok to dig up this thread again thanks to the attention given to me from another member on another thread I started in search for information on this swap, what is the general consensus on drilling out the high pressure fitting from my XJ pump?

Also, how did y'all plug the other fitting on the reservoir?

Back