• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Push Rods and Rocker Arms with New Cylinder Head?

MikeyXJ34

NAXJA Forum User
I am new here, and new to the XJ but I am replacing the cylinder head on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I’m putting on the upgraded Clearwater Head, my question is would it be bad to also replace the pushrods and rocker arms brand new while doing this?

There would be no need if they all pass inspection. I would actually be more concerned about the cam/lifters.

There would be no need if they all pass inspection. I would actually be more concerned about the cam/lifters.

I agree, I plan on rebuilding the engine in the future, but my focus now is just getting it on the road.. I am also replacing the AC Compressor, Water Pump, Radiator, Cooling fan, idler pulley, thermostat and the thermostat housing. I’d like to get it running smooth and then work on fixing the death wobble I have, but basically replacing the axles and components and lifting it.

Rocker arms: should be fine to reuse if you’ve still got every arm matched with its respective pivot/bushing. If they’re mixed up, replace them.

Pushrods: measure lifted preload with the new head and existing pushrods (.040-.060” is the recommended range). Replace pushrods with those of the appropriate length to achieve this goal. Being a new head, I can say with reasonable certainty that your stock pushrods won’t be the right length.

Do NOT change the lifters unless the cam is also changed. New lifters on a used cam can result in rapid wear, like 50 miles and it is dead. happened to someone, they even used break in lube. But the new lifters never broke in on the old cam. lifters wore till they leaked, and cam lobes went flat, all in 50 miles. was in for a cracked head, but person decided while they was in there for a new head why not replace the lifters too? WRONG MOVE.

Rockers and push rods can be replaced, but if they measure fine for wear, reuse them.

Not always true. I've replaced lifters only before no problem. Lifters don't break in like the cam needs to. The general rule I've used is old cam new lifters is ok, new cam old lifters is not.

Replacing the cooling system parts is definitely a good idea if anything is questionable.

New head bolts. Reuse everything else

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do NOT change the lifters unless the cam is also changed. New lifters on a used cam can result in rapid wear, like 50 miles and it is dead. happened to someone, they even used break in lube. But the new lifters never broke in on the old cam. lifters wore till they leaked, and cam lobes went flat, all in 50 miles. was in for a cracked head, but person decided while they was in there for a new head why not replace the lifters too? WRONG MOVE.

Rockers and push rods can be replaced, but if they measure fine for wear, reuse them.

Thanks man I was literally about to ask that question about the lifters and you already answered it.

Back