• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix block for Stroker?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Is a Renix vintage 4.0 block worth a damn for a stroker build?

r@m

I certainly hope so....

DSCF0003.jpg

The common consensus seems to be the 4.0 blocks are pretty much the same although there are arguments regarding wall thickness in the newer blocks...

If you're not overboring, or doing it conservatively... You should be OK

Your bigger concern should be choice of head/throttle body/ECU

Any 4.0 block will do as long as it isn't cracked, and the cylinder bores/main bearing saddles are straight.
A 0.030" overbore will give you 4587cc (4.6L) and a 0.060" overbore will give you 4657cc (4.7L) from a stroker. Ask the machine shop to magnaflux the block for cracks and check if the main bearing saddles need to be align bored. Align boring shouldn't be necessary in at least 99% of cases.
Here's my little beauty before it went into my Jeep:
STROKER3.jpg

It's not as pretty as Gil Bullykatz's baby blue block though and it doesn't wear diapers either. ;)

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

I'm in the middle of the install of my stroker right now. I used a 88 block (renix) and a 91 head. and I'm installing it in a 91 XJ.

to only differnce right now in the blocks is the 88 block does not have a mounting points for the ignition coil.

Back