• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack Weight and Roof Load Capacity

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. So I have this roof rack that I bought without actually knowing the weight of it. Well I found it is a little on the heavy side at 134#. Ouch!

Well, what I want to do is to remove the factory rack rails, put in larger Nutserts, put 3/16" flat stock where the factory rails would have gone and built mounts up to the rack, keeping it low profile to the roof. This is similar to the way Farmer Matt's roof racks were done. This way I am not relying on the gutters to hold the weight. I am planning my 31" tire, Hi-Lift, shovel, lights and a few misc. items as needed to be mount on this.

Will the roof hold the weight without causing problems? Anyone know what the weight of Farmer Matt's racks so I can compare to mine? Thanks! :D

xj_mike said:
Hi everyone. So I have this roof rack that I bought without actually knowing the weight of it. Well I found it is a little on the heavy side at 134#. Ouch!

Well, what I want to do is to remove the factory rack rails, put in larger Nutserts, put 3/16" flat stock where the factory rails would have gone and built mounts up to the rack, keeping it low profile to the roof. This is similar to the way Farmer Matt's roof racks were done. This way I am not relying on the gutters to hold the weight. I am planning my 31" tire, Hi-Lift, shovel, lights and a few misc. items as needed to be mount on this.

Will the roof hold the weight without causing problems? Anyone know what the weight of Farmer Matt's racks so I can compare to mine? Thanks! :D

I dunno, but my Surco mounted to the roof rails held my buddy and my 33" spare w/no problems--that's around 250 lbs. or so.

Thanks for the info guys!

Back