• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil filter adapter

shameless defect

NAXJA Forum User
my oil filter adapter came loose and the dowl pin that keeps it in place broke off into the block i have to some how get that pin out i have tried a screw extracter several times
the little circle is the pin that has to come out
IMG_18141.jpg

here is the part that broke off
IMG_18121.jpg

Time for a new engine!

After I rebuilt the engine in my '92, the only part I couldn't find was that dowel for the adapter. I went to the dealership twice and both times they gave me the wrong size and told me it was the only one they could find. Also, the ones that Kragen and Autozone sell were to small. So I just bought new o-rings for the adapter and installed it with out the dowel pin. I now have over 6,000 miles on the new engine and have had it out on the desert trails just about every weekend and the filter is still oriented straight up and hasn'y rotated a fracion. If you can't get the dowel out try install the adapter anyway. It works for me.

desertrandy said:
After I rebuilt the engine in my '92, the only part I couldn't find was that dowel for the adapter. I went to the dealership twice and both times they gave me the wrong size and told me it was the only one they could find. Also, the ones that Kragen and Autozone sell were to small. So I just bought new o-rings for the adapter and installed it with out the dowel pin. I now have over 6,000 miles on the new engine and have had it out on the desert trails just about every weekend and the filter is still oriented straight up and hasn'y rotated a fracion. If you can't get the dowel out try install the adapter anyway. It works for me.
do you know what is behind the dowl pin. i was thinking about knocking it out the other side. would it fall into the oil pan where i could easily take it out or would it be stuck somewhere

Technically, that's not a dowel pin, but a roll pin. It's self-spring-loaded to keep it in the hole. This creates a problem for extraction because it's already pressing against the hole walls.

In any event, as has already been previously mentioned, the dowel is simply a locator to keep the adapter from turning while it's being tightened down. Once it's torqued, you should be fine. But you'll want to be a little more careful during filter changes.

Yep, it's a roll pin. Explains why people looked at me funny when i kept calling it a dowel pin. As for the area behind the roll pin, it is solid. The hole is only about a 1/2" deep at the most. No way to push it back through the block. It has to come out from the front.

87manche said:
if the hole behind it is solid then I would try drilling it out.

Ditto. I would drill out the pin in the block. If you need to use a larger drillbit, then go ahead and drill out the adapter, too. Unless someone knows of a reason not to enlarge the hole a little. Just make sure you have a corresponding sized roll pin available.

-Rich

why not just drive something smaller up the center of the pin ... like it said earlier all it is is a locator... id drive a small machine screw up the center and call it a day

Back