• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me understand the seal on the AX15!

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, where the rear seal is on the shaft of the ax15 where it connects to the np231, it appears that the area between the ax15 and np231 is enclosed by an empty area??? in a casing type of a deal??? The reason I guess it's empty is because there seems to be a vent hole type hole about 1/2" below the level of the fill plug so if it was not full of empty air I'd be leaking something (btw transmission and the tcase are both topped off).....

My theory about the leak is now that the check valve on top might be stuck and when things heat up it pushes the oil out the rear seal into that area and then things leak out/fly out (due to air movemnt) out and make a mess..... Does it make sense????

Kejtar

You're right on with the seal location.

The rear output seal of the AX15 seals AGAINST the input of the t-case. There is an empty area between the two and this empty area has a weeper hole right at the bottom which is more than likely the source of your gear oil. If either the AX15 output seal is bad OR the input to the t-case badly scored or worn you will get oil out this weeper hole.

With the t-case removed the seal is very easily accessed. I am about to do this job myself actually as I'm getting the same sort of problem. Replacing the output seal yourself should be a breeze with the t-case removed.

As for the vent hole... I had it apart before but in the end I like the method they used to seal it. It's a little spring inside the vent cap keeping the tranny sealed until the pressure inside it is enough to push the spring and vent the tranny. This spring works on very little pressure but seems to work beautifully at keeping water out during those really deep crossing.

Cheers!

Bender

I just called my local jeep dealer and they want $16 for that seal and it has to be ordered in.

Bender said:
As for the vent hole... I had it apart before but in the end I like the method they used to seal it. It's a little spring inside the vent cap keeping the tranny sealed until the pressure inside it is enough to push the spring and vent the tranny. This spring works on very little pressure but seems to work beautifully at keeping water out during those really deep crossing.

How hard would it be to take the vent out and put a regular venht hose there and run it to the engine bay???? also how hard is the R&R of that vent? I looked at the FSM and it didn't appear to have any pictures of it or references to it :(

The vent is part of the upper shift retaining plate. Remove the plate and I'm sure you could drill out the vent hole and tap it to take a NPT barbed fitting for your desired hose size.

I left mine as is because I've moved the tranny up a good 1.25" so that vent is actually in the cab now. It's still under the shift boot but I left it alone as I didn't see the need to ruin an already functional setup.

What does R&R stand for?

Back