• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NPS/NSS connector

Mr Spock

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going through checking out why I get no crank and I am working on the nps. I found the nps just fine what I can't seem to locate is the connector I am supposed to check with an ohm meter. In looking at the nps I see the wires enter but from what I can tell this is not a connector; it looks moulded into the nps body. I hav tried looking at this from all angles including using a mirror and if this is the connector I can't see what way to pry the thing.

Am I looking in the wrong place or am I just an idiot who can't figure out how to get a simple connector off?

Thanks
97 xj, aw4

Re: NPS connector

Nope, not CPS but the neutral position switch. There is a diagram to check the connection between different pins in the connector depending on what gear setting you are on. I cant figure out where this connector is at.

aka the NSS, neutral safety switch.

x2. It will help your searches if you use the correct name.

The connector for it is at the other end of the harness, about 1 1/2 ft from the NSS body. You reach it from the engine compartment, not from below.

Thanks. Found the harness. According to my FSM it is the neutral position switch, so I thought I was using the correct name.

Thanks. Found the harness. According to my FSM it is the neutral position switch, so I thought I was using the correct name.

My Apologies. I looked in my '97 FSM and it *does* say "PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH".

so then its a P/NPS?.... nope. its a 'NSS' if you plan to find anything searching... you can argue that a thumb isnt a finger, its a thumb... but if you want to find a picture on google of a thumb... searching for 'thumb'... sure enough, it'll work everytime!

language is an live, evolving thing.

Back