• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sealant needed on water pump bolt threads?

Benthos

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like there's a small amount of oil on the bolt and possibly weeping from the lower water pump bolt on my 99 XJ. Does it require a thread sealant or some RTV sealant?

The bolts should get some thread sealant because they are drilled straight into the water jacket.

did just the mating surface on pump to block. no issues

I always put a little RTV on my water pump bolts. Have for years and on almost every water pump that I have changed, that I can remember.

The FSM makes no mention of thread sealant on the water pump bolts, but a touch of RTV sure won't hurt anything.

I just finished a water pump install. Three out of four threaded holes are blind holes, and one is a thru-hole into the water passage. I know that the FSM does not specify using any thread sealant on that thru-hole, but I did.

When I did the water pump on my '00 I did not.
Everything turned out fine.

Best I can figure is that if a thread sealant is not needed, then the aluminum water pump body deforms slightly right under the bolt head, and thereby creating a water-tight seal.

Best I can figure is that if a thread sealant is not needed, then the aluminum water pump body deforms slightly right under the bolt head, and thereby creating a water-tight seal.

Even when I took the old one off it was not a problem for the most part. I did snap the bolt right under the thermostat housing. But the thermostat housing had been leaking ever so slightly on the bolt for the longest time. So it was no surprise to me that it snapped and to frank was probably my own fault anyway. LOL.

I've always used anti-seize on these bolts, especially one going into a water way, ever mindful that the next guy might well be me.

That headbolt that goes into the jacket is another matter - & out of a surfeit of caution I do do what the manual (or, at least Mr Haynes "book of lies") tells me; always wondered what that does for the torque setting though.

Just stumbled upon this thread, even though it's a couple of years old. For anyone who might come across this in the future, it's generally advisable to use a thread sealant on bolts in areas like the water pump. If there's any indication of leaks or oil presence, a sealant can help ensure a proper seal. For reliable fastening solutions or advice on sealants, I recommend checking out https://www.scrooz.com.au/. They have a variety of products that might be useful.
To the original poster, did you eventually find a solution that worked for you? It'd be interesting to know, and it might help others facing a similar challenge.

Just stumbled upon this thread, even though it's a couple of years old. For anyone who might come across this in the future, it's generally advisable to use a thread sealant on bolts in areas like the water pump. If there's any indication of leaks or oil presence, a sealant can help ensure a proper seal. For reliable fastening solutions or advice on sealants, I recommend checking out https://www.scrooz.com.au/. They have a variety of products that might be useful.
To the original poster, did you eventually find a solution that worked for you? It'd be interesting to know, and it might help others facing a similar challenge.

Back