• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure issue

ab8127542

NAXJA Forum User
I did my research and I'm 100% sure that it's not the problem is 99% of people on here say that it is. It's not main bearings, and it's not a sending unit.

98 XJ, 4.0, 4WD, RHD.

for years at startup (and yes, years) at start up I had 50 PSI on the guage, max. 30 PSI was absolute lowest. Yesterday I started it up,
Got my 40-50 PSI, then when we hit operating temp, it quickly zeros out.

I understand this is a common problem, but to get the right person to give me any usable advice, I have to point a few things out.

It's not the sending unit. And to make some of you sending-unit-savvy-there-is-no-other-thing-it-can-be mechanics satisfied, I swapped it out. Also The mechanical guage shows low or pressure, almost identical with the dash shows.

Now the next thing everyone's going to say is it's just worn out and needs main bearings. I call bullcrap. I didn't just "let loose a chunk of bearing". All of my main bearings didn't just wear out in a few seconds. As you can tell I've done my research and regardless of the symptoms, everyone just swears that's what it is. It's the go-to solution when they don't have an answer. I'm telling you, that's not the problem. Rebuilding a motor and changing parts that aren't broke is just a cop out on giving up on finding the real problem. And to further that point, I find dozens of posts of people who have been finally convinced that this is the problem only upon pulling the main bearings and inspecting them, they were fine.

And at idle, I actually don't have any lifter noise. It sounds good. It's whenever you get under hot acceleration or load, the valvetrain sounds like it's going to come out and slap you in the face.

Always ran k&n oil filters, mobil oil. Also there is a wooshing sound, it actually kind of sounds like a vacuum leak from the front end of the motor, however I can't pinpoint it. It's not a vacuum leak, in fact the sound also may be similar to rushing steam. I run evans waterless coolant, and always have, so there's no expansion in the cooling system. So it can't be steam, that's just what it sounds like. Hard to explain.

Oil is clean, new filter.

We ruled oil sending unit, verified low oil pressure with mech. guage, changed the oil. Read somewhere a guys pump cracked. Any similar experiences?

Back