• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Top time (again)

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
My battery has been acting strange for at least a month. This weekend I had it on the charger and it looked like it was charging normally but the end result was only 12.1 volts. I normally get about 7yrs out of one so at 6 1/2yrs I'm not surprised!

A couple of days ago I noted that my yellow top dates back to 2015. I figure I better start paying attention to it and planning to get a new one. At least before I take another long trip.

My new battery will here Thursday so I will put on the charger since I'm tearing my XJ apart on Friday!

I should add that following all this up I will make some "super cables". I'm still on my 22yr old factory cables.

I gotta ask, are you using it strictly for starting or running accessories like a winch off it? Listening to a podcast a few weeks back one of the top dogs at Optima was talking about how for most wheelers the red top is the wrong battery, yellow tops should be the go-to

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

You are basically correct on the Red vs Yellow, they also don't recommend the side terminals for winches. I don't have any "high loads" as my Warn XD9000 is mounted on a receiver tray and has never been used since I bought it 18yrs ago!

Old and like brand new at the same time !!!
P1080136.jpg

Back