NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 24th, 2021, 08:11
NAXJA Forum User

Amazon winch rope

So I see the XBull winchline says it's sk75 (sk?) Dyneema. Is it good quality or a false sense of security? The strength is rated way higher than the high end ropes. I just got a smoking deal on an arb bumper ($200) and a brand new never used Warn m8000 ($500). I have RE 4.5 coils. I want to save any weight I can (no the ARB doesn't weight much at all despite popular belief) so I'm thinking of switching to this line for my once a year use. In the meantime I'll save up for high end line if I necessary. So anyone use it or test it? Will I even notice the 20 pound weight difference?
Old July 24th, 2021, 09:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Amazon winch rope

It's really not worth it unless you are in competition or use it a lot. My winch is almost 15yrs old and the cable still looks brand and un-marred by all the abuse it see's dragging over rocks and other debri!
Old July 24th, 2021, 09:54
NAXJA Forum User

I'm not sure how this applies to you, but here in AZ rope catches all the cactus permanently and it sucks when your feeding it back on the drum!
Old July 24th, 2021, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
It's really not worth it unless you are in competition or use it a lot. My winch is almost 15yrs old and the cable still looks brand and un-marred by all the abuse it see's dragging over rocks and other debri!
I'm not so much interested in it for strength purposes. It's 99% for the weight savings. My question is, how can Warn and Masterpull and those guys charge $300 to $400 and this XBull is $80 or $90 if it's sk75 dyneema like they say
Old July 25th, 2021, 17:35
NAXJA Member

Branding?
Old July 25th, 2021, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I'm not sure how this applies to you, but here in AZ rope catches all the cactus permanently and it sucks when your feeding it back on the drum!
Still havenít pulled the trigger on rope yet. But reading this since Iím moving to az. Maybe Iíll keep my steel line.
Old July 25th, 2021, 20:52
NAXJA Forum User

Wow… I had to look up winch rope prices. 5 years ago a smittybilt rope was $100. My recommendation is always going to be rope over cable. Far easier to work with, lighter, and safer under tension. That said, I would gamble on off brand dyneema. Thought I would not want a cheap hook on it.
Old July 28th, 2021, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

I think I decided I'm going with TRE rope. Everyone says it's great and it's only like $150 for 85 feet of 3/8. Granted that's double what the Amazon stuff costs but half of what the big name brands charge. I planned on going with a factory 55 for the hook or whatever it's called, but then I saw their prices
Any recommendations or should I just stick with my Warn hook?
Old July 28th, 2021, 18:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstefan View Post
I think I decided I'm going with TRE rope. Everyone says it's great and it's only like $150 for 85 feet of 3/8. Granted that's double what the Amazon stuff costs but half of what the big name brands charge. I planned on going with a factory 55 for the hook or whatever it's called, but then I saw their prices
Any recommendations or should I just stick with my Warn hook?
gotta change your fairlead. and whatever on F55
Old July 28th, 2021, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
creating a secure link between you and your anchor is really important. I do not use F55 stuff... I use 3/4 inch shackles, straps and my winch line to create a secure pull.
Old July 29th, 2021, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I'm going to get a new roller fairlead since I'm running the ARB and it has that roller fairlead support built in to it.
Old July 30th, 2021, 07:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstefan View Post
I'm going to get a new roller fairlead since I'm running the ARB and it has that roller fairlead support built in to it.
if you're running a synthetic line (not wire rope) you need a different fairlead. not a roller.
Old Yesterday, 19:59
NAXJA Member #920

I have seen (but can't remember where) a set of poly fairlead rollers for use with synthetic rope, but they're not too common and there's still the chance of it getting pinched in the corners.

The "standard" for synthetic line is the hawse fairlead.. They have the same "bolt pattern" as the roller units, and I'd frankly be shocked that you couldn't put one on that ARB bumper.