• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ceramic coated header and intake

I was doing a little mock-up before dropping off the manifold. It looks as if I have enough room to a aluminum shield between them for even more protection from the exhaust.
P1090063.JPG

P1090064.JPG

Will be interesting to see how much oil it captures. I didn't see any photos of the mesh screen on the product website. Can you post a photo?

Nothing you can see would tell how it's made. It's not just a screen, it's more a honeycomb aluminum core about 1/2" thick.

From JLT : Filtering consists of a fine mesh stainless steel screen that traps fine oil vapors and releases them once heavy enough to fall. They then pass through a 1/2" thick 1/16th" aluminum honeycomb filter where they grow every larger and then fall into the bottom. By the time the oil gets through the filter it's too heavy to be passed on into the intake.The tank holds 3 oz of fluid,

I had my intake ceramic coated and the only thing I wish I had done was taken out the pressed in vacuum stub out of the backside and tapped them for npt before I had installed it

Is that a serviceable filter?
If so pics worth more than words.

How do you do shit with one hand like type or even hold a phone and type. I can't weld for shit with two working hands

Thats what I was thinking reading rcp last reply

Just share the picture

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Catch cans vary substantially in their attempts to filter out oil/water/fuel. Some make no attempt at filtration while others appear to have substantial filtration. What helps a lot is putting the catch can in a cool (not hot) location to encourage condensation. I've tried a few different ones on my Evo. They are somewhat of a PITA IMHO. Clear ones are nice because then you can see when they need to be emptied. If not clear, then you spend a lot of time checking to see if its full. In concept, a petcock on the bottom to serve as a drain is nice, but my personal experience is that these don't drain that well. Finding a suitable, easy to service location was not easy on my Evo. Maybe easier with an XJ. Could probably attach it to the front cross member below the radiator where it will see outside ambient temperatures rather than the hot engine bay.

If you want to try one, I suggest starting first with an air compressor water separator. They are cheap (Harbor Freight) and reasonably effective in my experience. The challenge with these is that the catch volume is usually pretty small. I think Harbor Freight has a decent size cheap one.

I had my intake ceramic coated and the only thing I wish I had done was taken out the pressed in vacuum stub out of the backside and tapped them for npt before I had installed it

Why did you do yours? Did it provide any thermal protection? What product did you use? TIA

Why did you do yours? Did it provide any thermal protection? What product did you use? TIA

I did it for the thermal protection. I had a local company do it for me so I couldn't tell you what product they used. As far as how much difference it made internally I've never checked since I just recently got it running. It was expensive having them do it compared to just powder coating though. Maybe in the next week or so I can move a temp sensor I have into the intake and see what kind of temps I am getting and report back.

Your not kidding about the cost, I'm in over a 1000$ so far on this project. My manifold should be ready by tomorrow so hopefully I can get it all back together by this weekend. Last night I cleaned up the head and chased all the threads and installed the BW titanium studs.
P1090067.JPG

I miss the days when I could get stuff ceramic coated for free.

I got the exhaust manifold and the oil separator done today( they didn't get my intake done yesterday).
P1090068.JPG

P1090069.JPG

Yesterdays news was not good, it looks like I'm stuck in "Covid turmoil"! The coater that does the ceramic coating has been quarantined for Covid, I might get my manifold back by the end of next week if I'm lucky!

Still waiting, I just talked with them and they "think" early next week! This is really delaying me as I need the intake to be able to fabricate a heat shield for it.

Hallelujah !!!

I finally got my intake back, it looks pretty good considering what little time I spent prepping it! Time to get my work done now.
P1090072.JPG

P1090073.JPG

nice

Back