• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Manual Hub Disco Eliminator

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have an XJ with the old (installed circa 2003) Warn disco eliminator and manual hub conversion kit. This kit uses the stock XJ calipers, but has a different hub and rotor. the rotor is a CJ7 rotor that is machined to a smaller outside diameter (reduced to 11 inch dia, same as XJ rotor outside dia)

however the inside diameter of the CJ7 rotor is also larger than that of the XJ rotor. This means that stock inner XJ pads have a contact pattern that overhangs the inside diameter of the rotor, thus a ridge is worn on my inner pads, on their inside diameter arc.

So my question is, back in the day when this conversion was popular, what did folks do regarding the inner pads over hanging the inside diameter of the rotor, thus wearing a ridge on the pad material.

QUESTION....
Is there a pad from another vehicle that was used?
Or is the fix to grind off the excess pad material of a stock XJ pad?

Basically I need a pad that fits the stock XJ caliper, but with pad material that is narrower that stock so it wont over hang the inside of the rotor.

Thanks!

Yukon bought the rights to the Warn locking hub conversion kit, what rotors do they recommend ?

As I recall 91-98 XJ rotors work, you just need to machine the center bore larger to fit the locking hub.

I can see why you'd want to find narrower pads, but what's the downside to running it as-is?

The over hanging pad gets a ridge worn on it when it wears. This ridge when it gets taller it rubs sideways more and more, and when the brake is let off, that side of rotor and pad ridge friction is such that the pad does not pull away from rotor contact enough, hence it drags.

Looks like I will be cutting down the area of the pads that over hang the rotor with an angle grinder, dusty job I figure, oh fun.

for my rear it is a Ford nine inch, with 5 x 5.5 wheels same as front, ford rear disc with drum parking brake. It uses stock ford rotors, pads, calipers, amd thus works as intended, it all fits.

the front end is a highly modified dana 30. warn manual hubs, disco eliminated, fatter axles, beefy U joints, 33 x 12.5 inch tires,

the jeep,is a collection of a lot of old school wheeling mods from a couple decades ago.

The over hanging pad gets a ridge worn on it when it wears. This ridge when it gets taller it rubs sideways more and more, and when the brake is let off, that side of rotor and pad ridge friction is such that the pad does not pull away from rotor contact enough, hence it drags.

Ah, makes sense, didn't think of that. I'd use a vacuum and respirator at minimum when grinding the pads down. That dust will jack your lungs up.

Back