• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard diamond in the rough

zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys.

now that i have the funds to start my build i'll be hitting the pnp a bit in search of some parts- my first mission is to find a driveshaft to accomodate a HnT sye and a 4.5" kit.

i found a place that specializes in truck slavage... and they have a huge selection of driveshafts to choose from. i know a front C/V shaft from an XJ will work, right? but they're hard to find in my neck of the woods- they've all been taken out. how do i know which is right for me?

1) length
2) a slip yoke (don't know if that's what they're called when in the ds itself)
3) that it will accomodate the necessary u-joints (but how do i know when it will fit right?) should i take a spare u joint with me?

i'm looking for your expertise and experience- please help. i want to be able to get this thing off the ground.

many thanks.
andy

If you are talking about Gallant's Truck Salvage in Oceanside stay away from them! They are extremly high priced. You can get a new shaft from Ocenside Driveline for what they charge. I lived in Oceanside for 10 years on and off and I went there a couple times just to walk away.

One of your best bets is to hit Ecology in Oceanside or drive down to the yards in Brown field.

Clean-RC said:
less chance of getting murdered...

Not much less.

The PAP in Chula Vista also has 1/2-price weekend.

If you still need a DS for your hack & tap, I have one in my garage you can have. It mounts to a flange at the T-case, & has a 1330 yolk, but you can use a mismatched 1330 x 1310 ujoint. It's in really good shape & was reworked shortly before being removed about 2 years ago. Let me know if you want it & get a parts train going. It was mounted to a 231 behind an Ax-15. If you need the length, I can get it measured out for you.

Rob

Last edited:
Back